My propane gas grill won't get hot, any way to fix it?

My propane gas grill won't get hot, any way to fix it?

All I can say is that it seems to not put out much in the way of a flame.

I turned it all the way up to high.

It's a used grill. Seemed to work better the first 2 times I used it, but now the flames seem very low.

Since all 3 burners don't put out much, it seems to be the regulator?

Somebody posted about possible spider webs in BBQ grills?

Another said you have to disconnect and reconnect a propane tank because the regulator sometimes hangs up. I've switched tanks and have the same problem, so it must be the regulator??

It's an old weber with 1 inch tubes as burners. Tube are about 20 inches long.

3 inches above the burners are some sheet metal to spread the heat.

Is it a Sams stainless Members Mark? I have one and the burners are pretty wimpy.

Reply to
gfretwell

In the gas tubes for hte burners. spiders seem to like living there.

Not the regulator, the OPD valve on the inside of the tank. It is a float and it the gas comes on too fast, it will jump up and block gas flow as it is sesigned to do if the valve was proken in transport. Usually s*****ng it off and letting it drop is all that is needed.

Maybe, maybe not. Check other solutions first.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

if you have an old round handled tank then who knows. If you have one of the new "gotta protect ya from yourself tank" with a triangular handle then the above poster is right on.

I have found that turning on the valve at the tank with the burners on is bad. Also turning the valve on fast is bad. Turn the valve on the tank slowly with all the burners off. Sounds stupid I know.

Check your local refill places and see who has the best tanks for exchange. I have heard that blue flame is not a good tank.

Interestingly enough if you purchase a 74 gallon tank the float inside is not required. I am waiting for an used one at my local refiller.

Replacing the blankety valve is more expensive usually than replacing the tank.

Reply to
SQLit

The part between the burner and the gas valve is where the spiders tend to live. There is a gap and usually an adjustable vent at that point. You may have to remove the burner to access it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

From my Weber owners manual:

"WARNING: The burner control knobs must be in the OFF position before turning on the liquid propane cylinder tank valve. If they are not in the OFF position, when you turn on the LP cylinder valve, the "excess gas flow control" feature will activate, limiting the flow of gas from the LP cylinder. If this should occur, turn OFF the LP cylinder valve and burner control knobs. Then start over."

My wife does this all the time; if you turn on the burners first and then the tank, the grill will light but never get hot. You have to turn on the tank first and then the burners.

John

Reply to
John‰]

In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to try taking a fine wire and cleaning out the holes on the burners. Stainless burner or not, the holes tend to get a bit gunked over time. Just clean a couple, then give 'er a shot

-- if the cleaned holes look good, then clean the whole shmoo.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Thanks. It works now that I shut it off and opened valve slowly with all burners off.

Now I can cook my chicken at 350 degrees instead of 175 degrees.

I just love it when the government trys to help me (Overflow Protection valve) and screws me over in the process. Thanks J