My new high MPG pick-up "truck"...

Page 3 of 4

On the highway, they are about the same. There's no comparison in the city - the hybrid wins hands down.
Mike
FDR wrote:

I doubt it considering the batteries probably only last about 10 years and then you have to spend several thousand dollars to replace them.
wrote in message

Maybe. But I bet that cost comes down with newer technologies.

I would hope so. I'd not buy one because of the "great unknown" of batteries and the cost. I tend to keep cars for a long time so that is a factor for me. I'm also betting that fuel cells, batteries, hydrogen, or something will be readily available in mass production (at reasonable cost) in a few more years.
User Example wrote:

They do make fuel efficient cars, but few buy them. This problem isn't Detriot's or even Washington's, it is our problem. If you want to see the cause of high fuel prices and shortages, just look in the mirror.
Matt

Around here, there are waiting lists for the Prius.
Detroit doesn't make fuel efficient cars. Everyone else does. They aren't always imported into the US.
Mike

Depends what you mean by fuel efficient. Hear these loose terms all over this thread.
Believe its the people going solo to/from work in their big V8, high weight SUVs waiting in stop n' go traffic with the AC going full blast that are consuming most of the gasoline per person per mile. All the gas saved by the less cylinders used in the latest Hemi, is killed by one foot stomp on the gas pedal. All of this is appropriate for the look in the mirror remark. Both for vehicle demand type from Detroit and fuel consumption.

My trip home takes 45 minutes... 20 minutes going 3 miles through town, and 25 minutes going ~20 miles on the highway. I've often said that if I could eliminate the stopping, I'd get much better gas mileage.
I want a car that gets 100+ mpg, but I don't know of anyone that makes them.
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

Manufacturers ARE making fuel efficient cars, as well as SUVs (of all sizes). People choose for themselves what it is they want to buy.

These Hybrids are not what I call fuel efficient. Yes, they are better than standard cars but they could be better. Besides, they cost too much for what you get. Auto makers have had years and years to get it right but have choosen not to be innovative and we're still driving cars around that have the same gas mileage as 30 years ago.

Then what are they? They get better fuel economy in the city than on the highway - what conventional vehicle can do that?
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I call them "not good enough". They are a nice start but getting 15-20% better gas mileage is not a big deal to me.

Fair enough - I agree that if efficiency had been a serious objective then we'd see better results today.
However, the greatest improvements in fuel consumption, in the short to medium term, would be changes in driver behavior. Buying a gas guzzler and driving like an idiot or driving unnecessarily are behaviors that can be changed with _huge_ reductions in consumption. You don't need a 6000lb, 300hp behemoth to go pick up a quart of milk.
Mike

The small cars of the 80's were not cool! They were little tin coffins.

Not so much so if there weren't all the big SUVs bullying them around by sheer weight and size, and you all would slow the "f" down to make things safer collision-wise on the faster roads.
Small cars were never cool. They just made sense until the behemoths were built again. Now everyone needs a behemoth for some sense of survivability.
And it all goes back to the same thing, look in the mirror. Not behind you, at yourself. And even if you do, you'll still do the same BS until you're forced to do so. No conscience, self only, feed the system.
Lil' Dave wrote:

Are you telling me small sports cars weren't cool?
Bill wrote:

I drive a large pickup truck because I am a general contractor and I may need to haul, tow, etc. on a daily basis. Due to the gas prices, I have often been riding my motorcycle to work, only to discover that I need to move some tools to another jobsite. I then drive all the way home to get my truck and return to the jobsite (which may be 2-30 miles from home.
I have found one silver lining in this gas price surge. 35 years ago, cowboys, ranchers and construction workers drove trucks. They were fairly reasonable back then. No frills, but you could get a good truck without taking out a second mortgage on the house. Since everyone and their mother wants trucks and SUVs now, the price of those vehicles have skyrocketed. Typical construction workers can barely afford to buy what they NEED to do their job.
Now that gas prices are shooting up, the demand will go down and perhaps those of us who NEED those types of vehicles will be able to afford them. I am constantly looking at trucks and the first sign that demand was going down was the Chevy employee discount on trucks. I am hoping that that trend continues and that prices get back to reasonable levels.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:13:07 +0000, Robert Allison wrote:

You can still buy "work trucks". They may not be sitting on the showroom floor, but they can be ordered. OTOH, I see them all the time in the Boston and NYC papers as bait.

Do you NEED fancy interriors? Power windows/locks? AC? 4WD? Work trucks are available for about 60% of what the weekend-warrior pays for a car replacement. Though when my son grew up and I no longer needed two "cars" (or minivans) I bought a small pickup. As a weekend warrior myself, I like to be able to fetch a sheet of plywood (or snowblower ;), or take stuff to the dump. I also like some of the creature comforts of a car.
--
Keith

Last time we bought one for our shop it was difficult to find one. No dealer had one, few were even interesting in ordering a low profit model but one did when he realized it was that or nothing. It has no AC, standard trans, no options at all, but does haul what we need and only put on 5,000 miles a year. Most trips are about a mile so we don't need the fancy options that our cars have.
keith wrote:

I bought one. All of my trucks are "work trucks". That is what I buy them for.

Yes, I need AC and 4WD. I live in Texas. I spend about 40% of my time in the truck going from job to job, estimate to estimate, etc. I have to pull trailers with backhoes, bobcats, materials, etc. I have a Chevy 2500 HD that is just barely enough to handle what I need it to do. I don't care if it gets scratched or dented, but I do care that the AC works. At least until winter gets here in January. May have a few days that I can run without it then.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.