My new cabinets

Page 2 of 2
On 11-11-2012 11:59, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

constructed by a local carpenter. Perhaps the experts here would be able to give me some words of wisdom or consolation.

You don't know why you posted them? Is that what you meant to say?
_I_ can build better cabinets than that, and I am a software engineer, neither carpenter nor cabinet-maker.
--
Wes Groleau

Words of the Wild Wes
On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 08:59:50 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

constructed by a local carpenter. Perhaps the experts here would be able to give me some words of wisdom or consolation.

I've done better work then that with a skillsaw. It might be OK if it's supposed to be going in a garage workshop, I hope it's not supposed to be something for inside your home.

Geez, that's terrible. I hope you didn't pay him up front.
Cheri

All depends on how much you paid/intend to pay. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If you are paying top whack you should get top class work. This is clearly not top class work.
Are not kitchen/bedroom cabinets standardised in America? All my kitchen cabinets are of standard dimensions. When they need new parts/renewal I can get them cheaply. Doors, drawers, hinges, shelves worktops etc. Kitchen appliances are sized to fit these dimensions too.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/my-new-cabinets-721362-.htm jannereeves wrote:
harryagain wrote:

--

I installed cherry kitchen cabinets in my kitchen without any contractors help.
The RTA store from where i bought the cabinets just calculated the dimensions
On Nov 12, 8:10am, snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

I think those that pointed out the mistake of hiring a CARPENTER to do a CABINET BUILDER'S job were spot on. Still it doesn't excuse it. Hopefully only a portion of the money has been paid. I would not pay the rest, unless the problems are fully rectified, which I agree with others too, this guy is incapable of doing.
I would try to give him a chance though. Unlikely he can make it any worse. At the end, the OP can call in a couple of cabinet shops to give quotes on what it takes to make it right. They will likely say it has to be done over. I'd get that in writing from them and why. Take lots of pics. Then he can sue the jerk in small claims. He'll likely win, but good luck collecting. Unless the guy has a real job somewhere or a house, etc. These shyster guys have usually been through this before and have all their assets well hidden.
Out of curiousity, did the OP ever see any of his other work? References? It's hard to believe someone who does this kind of work would not have it showing in other kitchen jobs he did.
" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote:

That's because you have a shit-load of "carpenters" in the US who don't have any homes to build and are looking for work. So they're re-branding themselves as cabinet-makers.
This puts the lie to the idea that your home-building market has bottomed.
On 11/11/2012 11:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

constructed by a local carpenter. Perhaps the experts here would be able to give me some words of wisdom or consolation.

With a little luck, you live where there is a licensing board and the guy has a licence...take pix, get estimates for a redo, and then make a complaint against his license (after trying to get him to address the issues).