My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

Page 7 of 8
Racking slide on shotgun sure helps keep your door closed.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Not even possible here, no rotating door knob, the front door is a big sliding glass patio door.

More fool you. Just another utterly mindless paranoid loon.

Rod Speed wrote:
MORE DRIVEL
Rod, you have nothing positive to contribute.
<PLONK>
Bye.
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

What would you expect from a welfare loser whose work history consists of a few hours at a fast food job. Door to door people never bother Rod because they take one look at his hovel and see he can not afford even a magazine subscription.
William Souden wrote:

Bill, you have nothing positive to contribute.
<PLONK>
Bye.
By the way, those magazine ales people often become victims. They are placed in roach motels,their pay is withheld and they are abused.

You are correct. I really don't understand how the whole thing works, but it's a nasty little business all around.
nancy
Nancy Young wrote:

seeing the country while making money. They aim for those who a e vulnerable (abusive families,criminal records,etc,). They travel in vans from city to city and only after they start are they told that expenses are being deducted from their pay, The stories also reported beatings and other abuse. Each outfit on the chain starting with the magazines hire independent contractors to shield them from liability.
--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

It was a good lesson to learn with a relatively small amount of money.
These guys had cashed my check in the 10 minutes it took to call my bank and put a stop on it. The person at the bank (back when you knew people in your individual branch and didn't call a 1-800 number) told me how sorry they were and that I wasn't the first person that day who had been scammed. My neighbour's husband came home and said, "How stupid were you that you hadn't heard of mulch scammers?!?!?" Well, gee, pretty stupid I guess.
Viv

Viv, I never heard of mulch scammers either. Do you know what they do specifically? Leave "free mulch" with radioactive contamination? Hide cameras in mulch? Dump mulch without asking and demand payment for removal?
On May 17, 3:03 pm, Ignoramus30426 <ignoramus30...@NOSPAM. 30426.invalid> wrote:

LOL! All of the above, practically.
Basically, this is how it goes. In Memphis, if you want any sort of annuals to stay alive in your garden over the summer, you need to mulch heavily. The combination of bad clay soil and hot weather kills anything off otherwise. I was actually contemplating a run to the garden centre to buy some mulch for the front flower beds when these guys knocked on the door. They had a pickup truck half full of mulch. The guy had a basket and showed me the quality and said they were just heading back to Mississippi after a landscaping job and did I need some mulch? Memphis is right next to the Tennessee/Mississippi border, and a lot of landscaping companies come over to do jobs during the day, so this all sounded above-board.
I asked how much. He said 15 baskets would cover the two front beds. I asked how much per basket. He said, "$5 a bushel." I calculated that out and it was about $20 more than I'd have to pay by the bag at the garden centre, but that would have required two trips with two toddlers in car seats plus they were going to spread it. I agreed.
They did the job quickly, spread the mulch neatly, cleaned up the sidewalks, and came to the door. I had $80 ready, $75 plus a $5 tip. The big guy said, "That will be $375." ?!?!?!?!?!?!? I said, "No you told me $5 a basket and you'd need 15 baskets to cover it." He said, "Well ma'am, these are 5 bushel baskets." Now I thought that a bushel basket held about the same as 10 gallons. I remembered learning that in school. I said that the basket he showed me was a bushel basket. He put a foot in the door and said "Don't tell me my business. This is a 5 bushel basket." That's when he gave me the line about knowing where I lived. I wrote a cheque and they took off fast.
When I went out to check it closer, the mulch was so bad I had to pull it off. It definitely wasn't the good stuff he'd shown me in the basket. If you use cedar as mulch, it needs to sit for a while so it stops "cooking" and also because it is quite acidic, and that has to be washed out. You can't just put cedar through a woodchipper and use it as mulch. To make this fresh stuff look aged, they had mixed in oil of some sort.
Viv
Ignoramus6369 wrote:
. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy

a. wouldn't give them another dime.
b. get someone reliable to finish the job, even if I had to redo the whole mess.
c. see if my local newpaper would print an article alerting the public to the deal. ( I thought the whole WORLD was onto the paving, termite, meat-about-to-go-bad, and roofing schemes.)
With this type of job, I get the particulars in writing beforehand, see a license and insurance, and MIGHT pay enough to just buy materials. I tell them I will only pay with a cashiers check, when they say cash only. I want a record!!
val189 wrote:

license number on it.
--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

"val189" wrote:

Hehe, I lived on "meat about to go bad" when I was in college - thanks to the local Albertson's for selling it to me at half price!
Jon
"Jon Danniken" wrote: Hehe, I lived on "meat about to go bad" when I was in college - thanks to the local Albertson's for selling it to me at half price! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How is that different from aging, which sells for MORE?
Leo Lichtman wrote:

When they age meat, they put it in a place full of mold so that it gets all moldy.
--
Boycott KFC
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/10/nkfc110.xml

The conditions for aging meat are very controlled... temp, air circulation, and humidity. In a dry age, there is typically a layer of fat that is later trimmed off (along with any mold growth).
There is also wet aging, which is under shrink wrap. That is usually what happens between slaughterhouse and store.
At the store, the wet aged meat is then opened and processed. You'll loose the fat layer, and the meat is exposed to more bacteria.
I've had plenty of "use today or freeze" meats... and i've eaten a good bit of meat that's gone a bit towards the slimey side.
Properly aged meat is no comparison.
--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,
"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message

Those were some stupid scammers.
Generally, we go to Chinese restaurants once a week, to get used vegetable oil to spray. We charge the restaurant $100 to haul it away.
We tell the consumer it's a mineral-colloid-stabilized, emulsified refined coal tar suitable for use as a weather-protective.
Once we get started, we always find some wide cracks. We then tell the consumer, it's going to take an extra $125 to fill the cracks permanently. I ramble on to the consumer about this special fill used for asphalt. It's nothing more than drywall compound (Durabond 30).
When we leave the job which was originally quoted @ $150 - $200, it is always at least $500 + . The stupid ass consumer has a nice shiny driveway for about a year, and little knowledge of what was really applied to it.
Between the 4 crews each doing about 4 drives a day, you can make a pretty good $ on stupid people.

Good grief! Now, even with all the obsessive perfectionists, "honest" people, the anal, the netnannies, and grumps, we got morphing trolls.
Bye.
Steve