My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

Page 5 of 8
Yes, committing a serious crime is the best way to make up for your own ignorant mistakes. Preventing them from leaving is unlawful restraint.
George Grapman wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

Somehow I do not envision them calling the police about the blocked driveway.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Nobody else said it so I will- if they just painted the drive, their truck will be in the street, and probably no way to block it in. But even if there was, still a stupid idea. A few bucks ain't worth risking a knife or a gun in your face, and many of these travelling hucksters aren't real civilized when cornered.
Never hire a door-to-door tradesman, and if you have a moment of weakness in the face of a good BSer and get screwed, well, write down the plate, call the cops, and basically write it off to experience.
aem sends....

Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the cops.

My main question is, would cops be interested in these people or not.

It depends. Probably in smaller towns, yes. In a large urban community, its a definite maybe.

I know that in our town they'd have some interest and maybe even make the local news to be on the lookout for scams. If not properly licensed, they'd at least run them out of town.

Iggy, it's hard to say. Police go to schools to learn what constitutes a crime and what does not. It protects them from false arrest lawsuits. When a crime has been committed, they WILL act. When it is the kind of issue that needs to be addressed by civil channels, they will usually steer you to someone you can make a complaint to.
The best thing to do in these situations is to call the police, tell them that you feel you are in a threatening situation, and let them come out and make a determination. That way, if they can do something, they do it right then. If not, they advise the reporting person, and move on. After all, the man was making demands for money your neighbor felt he did not owe. In this situation, telling the workmen that you don't know what to do, so you have called the police to come out, and you will do whatever they say. The workmen usually vaporize right after that. I had a painter leave so fast he left half his gear.
AS I SAID BEFORE, it really depends on where you live. Smaller towns have more time to deal with these situations, where in a bigger city, you might not even get anyone to respond. I don't know the size of your town, so you would be the best judge of that.
HTH
Steve

Makes sense. We live in a suburb. Not too yuppie, but in a place where most people do mow the lawn.
What's the difference? They may have "interest" but their ability to do anything (other than demand they obey local licensing ordinances) is minimal. It would not get your neighbor a refund.
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

My own thinking is that these people probably have other issues with "the law" and do not want contact with the police.

Maybe not, but that doesnt mean you will get a refund or the job dont properly either.
And like the worst of them will be happy to tell you, they know where you live.

Rod Speed wrote:

Check out this article on Traveler and Rom scammers....
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_n7_v63/ai_15658023
hope helps....have fun.....sno
--
No matter how dangerous nuclear power may or
may not be.....

Call local building dept see if licensed properly. Ask for and followup with references. Run in the opposite direction.
On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:09:54 -0500, Ignoramus6369

An AR-15 loaded with penetrator ammo might persuade them to finish what they started.
In these parts we call it "Gypsy Paint" and now you know why....
--.- Dave
[snip]

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago. When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I wouldn't pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.
Viv

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.
Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.
Steve

Mindless paranoia.
You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.