My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

Page 2 of 8
Kurt Ullman wrote:

A California it is a misdemeanor for a unlicensed contractor to perform a job in excess of $500 which gives the police a valid interest .
--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

That expertise is required to work out the difference between deliberate criminal fraud and just plain hopeless operators that dont have enough of a clue to use the appropriate materials.

Its MUCH more complicated than that with the proof beyond reasonable doubt required to prove alleged criminal fraud as opposed to incompetance.

<http://www.dupageco.org/sheriff/MediaCenter/pressreleases/senior%20seal % 20coating%20scam.htm>
<http://www.dupageco.org/sheriff/MediaCenter/pressreleases/Seal%20coating % 20scam.htm>
Yeah, I guess they are skilled and more importantly, interested.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

<http://www.dupageco.org/sheriff/MediaCenter/pressreleases/senior%20seal%20coating%20scam.htm
<http://www.dupageco.org/sheriff/MediaCenter/pressreleases/Seal%20coating%20scam.htm
Doesnt mean they got a conviction.

Thats all you have substantiated with that particular jurisdiction.

Hm, that's our county, and we did in fact write down their license plate number. I will ask my wife for that piece of paper where we wrote it down.

However, getting someone to "run" it for you is a different matter. You can take it to the police and give it to them, and explain the situation. If they do "run" the plate, you will probably receive none of the information. If it does get a "hit", then they will follow up on it. If you know a police officer real good, they can do it and tell you what the results were, even though they are not supposed to. (It's done all the time)
When I started dating my wife years ago, she gave my license number to her daughter, a police officer, to get me checked out. I must have passed.
Steve
On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:04:49 -0700, "Steve B"

DOJ NCIC terminals require a "sign-in log" for offices - required for audit. Only qualified folks are allowed in this terminal/secure area and they receive serious training.

When I dated my wife I looked at her teeth; kind of like what you would do when buying a horse or mule!
I was checked every five years for over 30 years, I'm surprised how far they can get a microscope that far up my ass; especially when I was sued by a Nigerian Prince, circa '83. He lost his case!
-- Oren
On Sat, 12 May 2007 16:35:39 -0500, Ignoramus6369

Fraud. For starters. Down in the 'merican south? perhaps not. Up here in Canada it depends how slow a day they are having. They take a strong stand against that kind of scam in our locale.

It would get the attention of the scammers and get them registered. Depending on the community, it might get them followed and they will head out of town. All depends on the police department.
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

In my town soliciting door to door requires a permit or notificiation to the police station. If your neighbor reported them for going door to door, the police would check if they have met the requirements. If not, our police would be more than happy to stop by and have have a chat.
If an actual scam or fraud is reported, they will start the criminal process. They are also happy to do a full commercial vehicle inspection as well, never know what those can turn up.
Marissa Payton wrote:

Though it would be wrong to accuse anyone without evidence this is a species of fraud characteristic of an American group called "The Irish Travelers" which operates in the Eastern and Southern part of the country. There was a very interesting documentary about them on the box some years ago.
Their itinerant and elusive modus operandi has made legal action against them very difficult.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Three simple solutions:
Ask for their contractors license and immediately verify it. A legitimate firm will be glad to oblige.
While you are asking for than information write down the license plate on the truck.
Pay by credit card.

be sure to give your credit card info to scammers.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

the charges and (b) disallow anything than ran up on your card. Give them cash and there is nothing you can do.
George Grapman wrote:

Besides which, most travelling scammers won't be equipped to handle credit card transactions.
Jim
Jim Chandler wrote:

Actually some itinerant scammers have developed ways to accept credit cards. They have learned that having the Visa and Mastercard logos give them credibility.
George Grapman wrote:

Damn! Is NOTHING sacred? :-) Had I thought for a moment I would have realized that with the wireless stuff that's available now for things like gun shows, ets. it wouldn't be too hard to have it.
Jim

Well, the people giving the card numbers must end up feeling overcharged, and not cheated. Or else they don;t know how to dispute a charge. Many don't know.
If they get too many chargebacks, they loose their merchant account.

That's a "gypsy" scam. My mom feel for it 40 years ago. The con artists will be gone before you have time to report them to the police.

Was the work done illegally? Almost surely, I'm not arguing that. But to be scammed, he must have not gotten his money's worth.
Did they do a good job and use a good product on the driveway? Did the driveway have alot of cracks and other imperfections before they started? Are they well filled now? $50 extra is not really that much if there WAS in fact alot of existing damage. Just because they didn't price it right at first and had to ask for more doesn't mean your neighbor was scammed, it just means they didn't price the job correctly.