my maytag washer is leaking transmission oil

does that mean that water neccessarily got into the transmission, or can I just switch the seal? If I dont clean out the transmission and water did get in, will that ruin it or will it just need cleaning out later?
RavEzra wrote:

Hi,
Which Maytag washer? Model#? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Where? Onto the floor, inside the wash basket?

Not always, might be able to depending on which style and age yours is.
Hi Jeff, thanks. washer model# lat9824gge 11 years old. its a slight leak upwards from the stem into the laundry. It hasnt been going on long so I was wondering if Im risking anything by not refreshing the transmission(cleaning it out and replacing the oil), or if worst comes to worst Ill just have to refresh it later. thanks for the help
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

If it isn't getting onto your garments, then just wipe it up and move on. Your tranny won't run dry. If your washer is a dependable care model, and if the transmission is the newer style with the flat side, you could in theory take off the access panel of the tran and add more oil, but I think it is not necessary.
RavEzra wrote:

Hi,
Why would you want to?? If leaking oil up into the wash basket, this will evenually get onto the clothing. If the tranny was going to be rebuilt and get new seals installed, then yes it should be drained and refilled with oil. If the idea was to run the washer into the ground until it dies and then replace the washer, don't add any oil or such.