My lawnmower burned up

Page 2 of 3
SUCKERS!

Not true. On the tv show they experimented with various ways to cause gasoline to explode. Including simple matches, cigarettes and even a propane torch. They found gas requires a temperature of 800 degrees to ignite. A cigarette only produces 600 degrees.
The reason gas "explodes" in an internal combustion engine is due to the fact that the gas is vaporized and compressed. In reality, it still doesn't explode, it is the spark from the spark plug which causes it to explode.
If gasoline were that easy to explode, you would not have it in your car.
Diesel, OTOH, does explode on it's own when properly compressed, thus, no spark plug is required.
In either case, it is not the fuel itself that igntes, but rather, the vapors of. As there is now a higher concentration of oxygen to the fuel.
I'm sure you've seen plenty of videos of various types where fuel is on the surface of the water and burning brightly? So how come it never explodes?
richard wrote:

It doesn't "explode" at all. It is a rapid burning, not an explosion.

partially correct. You can start gas to burn (not explode) with low level heat (match) IF there is a bit of vapor above the gas - there almost always is. If the heat source is buried below the vapor level, then more heat is needed.
Diesel is hard (compared to gas) to ignite becuase it doesn't put out that much fumes.
Diesel "explodes" (again it burns rapidly, not technically "explode") when highely compressed and the heat of compression sets it off. Gas will do the same thing. Jusst dump some gas into a diesel engien and watch it destroy itself.
Harry K

Wrong. As usual. Please take my word for it that gasoline will ignite with common objects found around the house. Your guess at the temperature of a lit cigarette is off by a factor of 2. Not bad for you.

I think we're in violent agreement here. Gas must be gas(eous) to explode.

Once it's lit, it burns, so there's never the proper air/fuel mixture.

Boy, are YOU dangerous!!!!!!!!!!! Pour gas into/onto a hot mower engine and you get a lot of evapouration - to the point a SPARK can light it. If it has a plastic tank, when it melts and releases the half gallon of gasoline to the atmosphere, a LARGE fire can result - including quite a "whoosh" of flame.
I do think, however, that this is a troll.

Just another stupid illegal alien from Mexico who needs to go back to his bamboo hut village in Mexico where they dont have dangerous things like gasoline, electricity, and matches. All they have are their bamboo huts and lots of liquor and cocaine to keep them busy in between their main job of reproducing.
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 01:45:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You need to ask yourself how the lawn mower was defective, whether it was being used in the manner intended, and whether the defect was the foreseeable cause of your damages. If you think a reasonable jury of ordinary citizens will believe that, then you should sue the manufacturer and the dealer who sold it to you. But don't mock the law out of ignorance.
- Jon Beaver
Let me get this straight... you threw a lit match on a lawnmower with a full gas tank and the thing blew up... This is July 1, NOT April 1.
Jon Beaver wrote:

Jim85CJ wrote:
<top posting corrected - go to the bottom>

<snipped a bunch of un-needed text>?
> Let me get this straight... you threw a lit match on a lawnmower with a > full gas tank and the thing blew up... This is July 1, NOT April 1. >
Probably canuck.

Yep, that's what he said. Obviously, it wasn't true. But it wasn't a joke either. It's political satire. He's accusing our legal system of being incapable of distinguishing between a fire caused by industrial venality and a fire caused by an idiot. Where perception is reality, the truth is irrelevant; ignorance is it's own reward; everybody's entitled to their opinion; etc.
- Jon Beaver

Very true. Have you seen a step ladder lately? You can hardly find the ladder what with all the warning labels -- mostly warning not to do things that only an idiot would do. I like to say that you can't buy a 4ft ladder anymore -- there isn't enough room for all the warning stickers :-)
--
-Ernie-

"There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
Ernie Klein wrote:

Those are for the ones they ship to Canada.
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:07:47 GMT, Ernie Klein

People want a simple world, but we've already eaten the apple. We don't want people suing because of their own negligence, but neither do we want people deliberately preying on the predictable negligence of others. This legal balancing act must look pretty ridiculous to those on either side who can't see the other side of the problem. And when you are making a political statement, it's sometimes useful to pretend there is no other side.
- Jon Beaver
So did your synapse.

But you have to admit that warning labels that say to the effect that:
"This label was place here, not for your safety, but to cover our butts, just in case you are dumber than a rock, in which case you probably won't read the label anyway. So when you fall and land on your head (which couldn't possibly do any harm), and decide to sue us because you attempted to climb to the top of the chair, which was on top the the ladder, which only had 3 of it legs balanced on two of your second story stairs (with 24 comic books wedged under the 4th leg), we can show the jury that we anticipated this use of our product and warned you not to do this.";
have gone overboard. There only purpose is "cover their ass". In many cases, over-warning is worse than no warning at all. Too much input is ignored and becomes no input in reality.
Companies do it because too many juries have taken the position that you have to be protected against yourself, no matter how stupid you are.
--
-Ernie-

"There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have

They need to assemble a complete set of warning labels (likely in China) *FIRST*, before putting the ladder into it, so they don't ever have a ladder without the warning labels. Then some idiot tries to climb up the stack of warning labels, it collapses, and they sue. So now they need a "THIS IS NOT A LADDER" warning label on the labels, to be removed when they put the ladder in.
Oh, yes, the warning labels completely cover the ladder, so you can't tell whether the metal has rusted or the wood has rotted (or if, in fact, the actual ladder has been stolen) without trying it first.

Just wait until they require the warning labels in all languages in use anywhere (including Klingon, ebonics, 97 varieties of baby talk, and just in case they show up early, Vulcan).
Has anyone seen a warning label on a ladder yet: "WARNING: REPAID LEGAL IS A SCAM, consult competent legal counsel before using this product".
"REPAID LEGAL" is a ficticious scam, any resemblance to any actual scam advertised in this newsgroup is purely coincidental.
                    Gordon L. Burditt
scribbled this interesting note:

Correction: Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion...
Jon Beaver wrote:
[snip]

In a sense, I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of compelling reasons to mock American law, but ignorance is not among them. :)
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info