My Lawn: Am I beating a dead horse?

Page 2 of 2

There are a zillion other weeds and grasses that fit that description and weed indentification can sometimes be difficult. One distinguishing characteristic of crabgrass is that it doesn't germinate until you have warm temperatures and is a summer lawn problem, not present in Spring.
Take a look at this crabgrass control document from Rutgers University. They indicate that pre-emergent needs to go down by April 10, meaning the crabgrass has not germinated by then. That is consistent with the advice on all the pre-emergents that are sold. If crabgrass doesn't germinate until after April 10 in NJ, you can't have large, mature plants in Chicago or Canada by May 5. I see crabgrass here every year and never before July.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 5, 8:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Well im learnin about weeds, and what ever it is grows to dam fast. They say a weed is just a plant you dont like. Golden Rod used to be on everybodys hate list, now my garden center sells it, HD!
Add pictures here
✖
Well im learnin about weeds, and what ever it is grows to dam fast. They say a weed is just a plant you dont like. Golden Rod used to be on everybodys hate list, now my garden center sells it, HD!
---------------------------------- Hell, it is the state flower here and I don't want the crap in my back yard.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 5 May 2010 04:17:36 -0700 (PDT), ransley
Why would anyone beat a dead horse?
Add pictures here
✖
mister snipped-for-privacy@the-newzgroups.com wrote:

To tenderize it for the grill, you big silly.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Go to a garden shop and get some plants for around the front of the house , it looks terrible and just adds to the poor street appeal. Some flowers would have people take their eyes off the grass and make your chances of a sale MUCH better.
Add pictures here
✖

✖

It stretches as far as the eye can see (it is on Long Island).
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 04 May 2010 23:43:51 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Like the first time a guy saw the ocean. "Some how I imagined it would be bigger than this!"
Add pictures here
✖

Tony,
    Lawn grasses and their needs vary greatly from one area of the world to another.
    Assuming you are in the US, you might want to contact your local county extension agent. They will likely have some area specific instructions. Their instructions will likely be far better than you will get from someone trying to sell you something and will be specific for your area. You might even get them to come out and take a look at what you are and offer some specific recommendations.
Add pictures here
✖