My house got robbed - what's a good place to buy a handgun?

Page 4 of 6
Pico Rico wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:17:05 -0800:

The sidewalk is my property, as is 1/2 the roadway, but, both have a public ROW easement, as does the power company to access my meter in my basement.

You should not assume that you can carry on the sidewalk or the roadway.

Maybe in Texas.
Elsewhere you should use that phone to call the police.

doesn't apply to OP - he said he is in California.

from memory, a farmer in Iowa was tired of someone breaking into his unoccupied farmhouse robbing and doing damage, so he rigged a shotgun trap. Perps broke in and took them off at the kness [my memory, may be wrong] so they claimed they were innocently breaking in to seek shelter for the night and successfully sued, gaining ownership of the farm. The judge was NOT sympathetic, in fact livid, asking what if children had broken in as a lark? and kind of threw the book at the farmer.
Don't think that's an urban myth either.
On 11/11/2014 06:56 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Though I did not hear that one, I have read first hand, stories about people setting boobie traps and I believe they were always found guilty of something.
On 11/11/2014 8:16 AM, philo wrote:

You are probably correct. Just Google "Set guns" + "unlawful use of weapons" and you should find the link to the laws prohibiting same, if you need it. Only a complete moron (or someone looking to spend a long time in prison) would consider doing something like that in defense of property.
I'm still waiting to hear about the Chicago copper who shot two magazines full of 9mm into an offender's chest and was STILL strangled to death by the offender. Ripley's Believe It or Not! had nothing on it, nor did Snopes or Fantasy World. Just sayin'
On 11/11/2014 6:56 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Robert, you are basically correct. I live in Iowa and remember when this happened. You can read the details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katko_v._Briney
Don

also.

Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

I used to live where there were about 10 houses in a row on 1/2 acre lots. Next door neighbor had a dog that barked all the time. No one thought much of that barking dog when his house was broken into one night. The dog was outside the house in a fenced in area so he could not get to the burglers.
On 11/11/2014 4:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"The dog who barked wolf" (with respect to Aesop's Fables."

In that scenario, it was the burglars that got charged.
On 11/11/2014 4:59 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Good thing the guy wasn't ohm.
Oren posted for all of us...

+100 for this. People should learn to protect themselves. The gov't has no duty to do it. I encourage all women to arm themselves because poop happens to them.
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

This is very good advice as each firearm has a different "feel" to it. Grips & angles & releases, so forth.
--
Tekkie

Doug Miller wrote:

The 99% of dog owners who are irresponsible garbage and don't control their filthy, noisy, dangerous animals and destroy the quality of life in the whole neighborhood.
On 11/12/2014 7:00 AM, Pete C. wrote:

[snip]

"The more I know about people, the better I like my dog." -- Mark Twain
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." --Unknown
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Hi, So true!!!. I have a dog always since my childhood. That 99% should be 1%. Dogs are better and more loyal than some people for sure. There is no bad dogs, only bad owners.
Pete C. wrote:

So do you consider all dogs to be " filthy, noisy, dangerous animals " ? We have a dog , and she loves us unconditionally . And she is none of those things ... unless you come around in the middle of the night , then she is in fact noisy and dangerous .
--
Snag
If you're found here in the dead of night

If you had to live next to a person that had a dog that barked 25 hours a day like I did you would have the same kind of attitude. I like dogs, but when a bad dog owner lets a dog bark like this one, it will turn you off of dogs.