My house got robbed - what's a good place to buy a handgun?

Page 3 of 6

Sounds effective.
But just in case someone takes you seriously, maybe plans to use shotguns instead of cannon, they're illegal.
You're allowed to use lethal force to protect a person, but not protect property.
There was a business here about 10 or 20 years ago who had a trap gun at his business, and someone broke in, and I can't remember but he was probably hit or killed, or no one would know about this, Maybe just wounded because I don't think the owner was charged with homicide. But he was charged with having a trap gun. I think he was convicted, but I'm no longer sure about that.
On 11/10/2014 12:37 AM, Jim Benson wrote:

can get one for a real decent price. Some of them probably came from your neighborhood.

It would be rare in most cities to carry the shotgun while mowing the lawn or whatever it is you do outside. If you have it with you it's because you went in the house and got it. If you had that much time, could you have figured out some other option besides shooting?
-------
Google is your friend. Search "lawn mower deadly force". I am not kidding, but I thought I would be.
micky wrote:

Bobytraps are indeed illegal.

In Texas you are.

Again, bobytraps are illegal. Now if you apply a little technology and have a camera link to your smart phone so you can identify the intruder and you can pull the trigger, that would seem to be legal since you used lethal force to protect your property.
Doug Miller wrote:

Get a dog and you'll have your neighbors wanting to kill you. Not a good trade off.
philo wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 06:08:21 -0600:

I like the idea of security cameras, but, the gun is also a good idea.
Jim Benson wrote:

If you have it on arm's reach all the time and are you a good shot? I have a dog and few cameras in/outside house on 7/24 recording any alarm situation. I'd like .45 which I used to carry/use in the service.
RobertMacy wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:28:03 -0700:

Went to a gun store today.
It's 10 days, they told me, in California, but that's not a problem. Plus it's a background check ($25) plus a certificate ($35) they said. Plus, of course, the sales tax (of from $60 to $85), such that we could say the gun costs about $125 to $150 more than the list price.
I looked at these two revolvers today at that one gun store.
$600 Ruger SP101 (cast steel, a bit heavy, but nice trigger) $850 Smith & Wesson 66.8 (forged steel, lighter, less nice trigger)
The gun store told me one advantage is that it takes 38 ammo and 357 ammo, which is $35 and $25 respectively, for a box of 50.
Do those prices seem reasonable?
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:06:23 -0500:

I went to one today, and they recommended the revolver. They've had people like me, who are not 'gun people'.
They say the revolver is easy to maintain, will never go off accidentally, even if dropped, and has plenty of rounds for what I need it for.
Looked at two, in particular, both take 38 or 357 they said: $600 Ruger SP101 $850 Smith & Wesson 66.8
Out the door, with the mandatory tax and fees adding about $125 bucks, do those prices seem decent?
On 11/10/2014 6:59 PM, Jim Benson wrote:

I'm not much of a gun prices person, totally no information. I'm in PRNY, so any prices I see may be higher than in a state that has some freedom remaining.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Frank wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:01:54 -0500:

Why would something that is far larger, and has far more parts, cost half?
On 11/10/2014 7:00 PM, Jim Benson wrote:

Good question. I suspect main reason is that sale is much less restricted by the states. As a matter of supply and demand, handguns, thanks to Obama became scarce and prices went way up while shotgun demand probably remained steady. When you get to a gun shop you might ask them.
TimR wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:10:19 -0800:

The gun shop told me I could carry it all I wanted on my property. But I coudn't carry it off my property without it being in the trunk and locked.

Part is because of the name, part markup, part just because it is a handgun, part because people will pay for it.
I don't remember the years or the price, about 40 years ago Remington and Winchester had some shotguns for a low price. I knew a man that was a salesman for Winchester,and he told me the price it cost Winchester to make the shotgun and half of it was the wood stock.
For someone that is not going to shoot too much, you may want to look at a Tarus revolver. I have a .38 I bought about 35 years ago that is an almost duplicate of a S&W but cost way less. Maybe not as good of a gun, but plenty good enough for ocasional use. I and my wife have probably put about 1000 rounds through it.
On 11/10/2014 7:26 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Taurus makes good guns but I won't buy another one. It was impossible for me to order a pistol scope mount from Brazil.

carry more ammunition unless going into areas looking for trouble.. I doubt that most people would last long enough in a gunfight to shoot more unless they are just spraying lead.
I have a small 40 cal that I carry and it holds 10 rounds. Anytime I feel that I would need more, I would carry a shotgun or rifle. Probably my AR with 30 round magazines. I don't go places that I would even think I would need a gun. As one of the gun writers said ' a handgun is what you use to fight your way back to a rifle'.
On 11/10/2014 7:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't own a gun, so I don't follow all the details exactly. PRNY now has a magazine capacity limit. Men have gone to jail recently (and had their guns taken and their firearms privileges revoked) because they had two bullets more than legal in a pistol. 9, where 7 is legal, I think it was.
Again, please ask at the gun stores. Ask at more than one is a good idea.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't know that carrying on your front lawn would be ok. I don't think gun shop employees are qualified to give legal advice (and neither are police).

tiny things are often more expensive. Where have you been?

Let me clarify: if you take a single step off your property, you would be in violation of the law. Is the sidewalk "your property"? Probably not. Go to say hi to the neighbor, or meet the mailman, or take the trash cans in off the street?