My house got robbed - what's a good place to buy a handgun?

Page 2 of 6

In California? I think trade shows still allow instant purchase. For reliability, revolver, that's why ALL police are issued revolvers, However, *IF* they get certified [whatever that means] with an automatic of their choice [long list of possible entries] they are allowed to carry that weapon into service. [at least, that's what I was told when I asked.]
PS: at close range, a perp can simply push the slide on an automatic rendering it unfireable. And in an emergency can reach OVER the top of a revolver placing the index finger/thumb webbing between the hammer and the ?? firing position, rendering a revolover unfireable [at a cost of cutting the webbing of the hand. PLUS, and this is an important consideration ANY weapon can be taken away and then used against you. So arm your self with 'soft pointy' cushions.
Now back to the matter at hand.
For less than ?? you could have lined your home with cameras and a controller that records ALL images that are then useable in a court of law. Try SuperCircuits in Austin, TX We have an 8 day/night camera system and trip inputs with the ability to connect to the internet and your cell phone, so when the doorbell rings, you are called, and when you answer [with the person on camera] you sound like you are there!
Contact Info: Supercircuits, Inc.        1.877.995.2288 11000 N Mopac Expressway, Suite 300 Austin, TX 78759 http://www.supercircuits.com
Just put the controller out of reach so you can retrieve the images.
Also when you're gone use those programmable light switches. Get several. On off lights in a pattern look like you're going bathroom then bedroom and then nighty night. Plus, a TV [[more difficult to do today] Something about a flickering light that REALLY deters. Your home will be avoided, Not many burglars want that type of felony.
From experience, if you're not there the burglar [as long as he has no swag] can claim he broke in to gain shelter for the night, which is a misdemeanor! Even works *if* you're there, too. We used to live in a 15 room home in CA [meaning so large couldn't tell what was happening in some of the home] and someone broke in unbeknownst to us. In the morning, I left to go to a client's and my wife was awakened with the sound of the guy going through my closet! Upon being confronted, he ran. [You do NOT want to be on the wrong side of Ms. Macy] He was wearing my favorite suede leather jacket, she had just bought for me as birthday present from Saks, too. yechh! sweat spots all over it! As he ran out the door a passing San Jose bus driver en route, stopped his bus of passengers and personally apprehended the guy!
The police told me the story he 'volunteered' about looking for shelter for the night with his intent to avoid felony charges, etc but they didn't believe because he was wearing my jacket.
[Further note: the bus driver, an unusually brave dude, became nationally famous as the bus driver who refused to drive San Jose buses that had become unsafe from lack of proper maintenance. causing a bruhaha that never ended, yet did cause the city owned bus service to straighten up their act regarding maintaining safer buses.]
On 11/10/2014 8:28 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

You could not be more wrong. Since the mid-80's there has been a transition by law enforcement (city, county, state and federal) to semi-automatic pistols with pistols by Glock far and away the most widely selected due to a number of factors - high among them capacity and reliability.
With pistols there is a much greater need for training in the use due to the ease with which they can be fired.
On 11/10/2014 08:28 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
<Mostly snipped>
PLUS, and this is an important

A good reason not to own a weapon unless one is thoroughly versed on all possible methods of self-defense.
BTW: Here is how a friend of mine handled the situation:
Case 1) http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/36514379.html
Case 2) http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/tavern-owner-will-not-be-charged-in-fatal-shooting-of-would-be-robber-b9979416z1-220273381.html
After what happened in "case 1" no one expected anyone would be dumb enough to try to rob the guy a 2nd time. There is no limit on stupidity however.
BTW: I put published a book on the place a few years ago.

Doesn't hurt ot test the alarm or let it go off by accident once in a while, so anyone nearby knows it really functions.

The last thing burglars want to do is meet the people who live there.
In that regard, they seem sane compared to those who rob people on the street. Even though most of those don't go out of their way to harm people, they set themselves up for a situation in which they might.
The first summer I was here, 31 years ago, went out for dinner from 6 to 8 or so Sunday night. Came back and found the front door kicked in. Nothing taken. Perhaps the dog next door, who barked when I was trying to go to sleep and before I was ready to wake up, barked and scared him away. Stayed home from work the next day and rReinforced the door frame and put in a slightly longer (all I could find) dead bolt. Finished installing the alarm, with siren. Some poo-poo sirens, saying neighbors don't care, but afaic even if most don't, the burglars don't know that none of neighbors care. and especially if they're not in the house yet, why would they stick around with the siren going? Included wood-and-glass** breakage detectors, to set the alarm off before they're in.
The seller of the house told me there were bars on the basement window, only about 12" high, because a thin guy had been breaking those windows and robbing the house that way. It took me 20 years to notice that the window was plastic, meaning this house was one of those robbed. He didn't tell me that part!
Pieces of wood or conduit in the sliding glass door channels, to keep them from opening when I'm out of town. Broom sticks above the sliding doors to keep them from being lifted out of the track, although Im' not sure one could do this when the door is closed. And OTOH, they could just break the whole door or window. I never hear about anyone breaking a sliding glass door to get into a house.
**This is sort of funny. I put in another doorbell in the basement, and then had to but a bigger doorbell transmitter. This made the ground floor doorbell louder. I found out later that every time someone delivered a package or a certified letter and rang the doorbell, it set of the burglar alarm, which was on a timer and stopped making noise long before I got home. Most of my townhouse neighbors are away during the day too, and the ones who knew about this didn't know me or just didnt' tell me. I didn't want to lower the sensitivity of the detectos, so I put a variety of reistors in the ground floor doorbell circuit until it didn't set off the alarm anymore.

BTW, despite the image in movies, most home burglaries are in the daytime when people are away, not at night when they're likely to be home and cause problems.
We had another string of burglaries 20 years ago. The guy would ring the doorbell, and if no one answered, go around back and break in there. In one case, the residents were both at work, but the mother of one of them was visiting. It took her a while to get up, put a robe and slippers on, and go down stairs to answer the door. By the time she'd done this, the burglar had gone around back, where the ground level was one flight lower, gotten in, and was walking up stairs from the basement. They both heard each other and both fled the way each had come, she up to the bedroom and he out the basement door.
Later, the police somehow figured out who he was, and staked out his home in the morning. They followed him until he got here, watched him ring the doorbell and go around back, and while he was inside, they called another car or two, including a police dog, and I think they put the helicopter on alert. But they got him as he was coming out the back door. The owner was annoyed that they let him rifle through drawers, but I didn't hear that he caused any damage. The police wanted an iron clad case, not just for b&e but for stealing. I believe he went to jail. It's been 20 years and he's probably out by now, but no burglaries here for years, afaik.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:34:15 -0700, Unquestionably Confused

hmmm, you mean 'more wrong about' that's what I was told? or, the 'answer' I got? I believe your comment aobut Glock being preferred, since I found an obviously well-used one in the door of the man who stopped by to quote earth moving around our home here in AZ. He also was wearing a piece, and had another in his truck's glovebox. Oddly I saw no extra ammunition, which I think is necessary.
Anyway, not culpable for presenting, as you claim, erroneous statement. Plus, I did add the caveat that the information was what I was told when I asked. So go after the officer who explained all to me. He never said anything about auto's easier to fire, so need training to 'prevent' that. Again, he explained the transition to auto was requested by the officers, not by upper management bringing it upon them.
On 11/10/2014 8:50 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Your protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, you presented it thusly...
" In California? I think trade shows still allow instant purchase. For reliability, revolver, that's why ALL police are issued revolvers, However, *IF* they get certified [whatever that means] with an automatic of their choice [long list of possible entries] they are allowed to carry that weapon into service. [at least, that's what I was told when I asked.]
PS: at close range, a perp can simply push the slide on an automatic rendering it unfireable. And in an emergency can reach OVER the top of a revolver placing the index finger/thumb webbing between the hammer and the ?? firing position, rendering a revolover unfireable [at a cost of cutting the webbing of the hand. PLUS, and this is an important consideration ANY weapon can be taken away and then used against you. So arm your self with 'soft pointy' cushions.
Now back to the matter at hand. "
That is a direct quote from your post, nothing removed to change the context.
Nowhere therein do you have any caveat about the source, etc. nor do you mention what it is that "what I was told" applies to. It could have been all of it, it could have been merely the part about additional training. In any event, the information is wrong and anyone who cares to check it out can easily discern what is factual and what is not.
The ONLY reference you have with regard to a police officer telling you ANYTHING is the anecdote about the goof claiming he just went into the house for shelter.
TimR wrote:

Mossberg , among others , makes a short barreled version of their pump shotgun specifically for home defense - and other barrels are available if you want to use it for skeet or hunting . I have one , with a laser mounted they know you're on target ... something about the sound of chambering a round , then that red dot on the chest has a tendency to make burglars loosen their bowels ... I use task-specific home defense ammo , lower velocity so it has less chance of going thru walls .
--
Snag

philo wrote:

At home defense ranges, a shotgun offers no advantage. The pattern is pretty much a single hole at 10-20'.

And slower to get on target.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 08:02:22 -0700, Unquestionably Confused

at the end of that first paragraph [at least, that's what I was told when I asked.] implying I was speaking to an officer regarding his automatic weapon.

I saw it there.

And that's what I thought you meant.
Got to be a good shot to hit something with a handgun. Something like this might be more what you need. I sent away for a pistol grip for this gun and the total price for everything was a little over $200.
https://us.armscor.com/products/m5-matte-nickel-shotgun

The sperad of a shotgun is still only a few inches in the typical house. Almost none across most rooms. Have you ever shot a shotgun with the hand gun typ grip ? Not a good feeling.
On 2014-11-10 12:37 AM, Jim Benson wrote:

buy ammunition and fire all the guns they had. You can try dozens of guns in a day and pick which one you want.
On 2014-11-10 1:24 PM, Adam Kubias wrote:

http://www.raahauges.com/SportsFairFlyer2014.pdf
On 11/9/2014 9:37 PM, Jim Benson wrote:

Best thing to do is to make your home less attractive to a burglar than your neighbor's. You can do that with fences, cameras, lights, sounds, a dog, lots of options.
A gun won't help you unless you're home and "ever vigilant". And that means, your gun is loaded, close at hand...where your kids can get at it. A gun in the basement safe is useless when someone breaks down your door.
OK, so you have the gun in your hand...are you gonna use it? I tell myself that I'd have no problem killing another human who was trying to hurt me. But how do I know that?
What is the definition of bodily harm? In your mind? In the court's mind?
The perp shows up at your door in a fireman's uniform. You gonna shoot him? How about half a second later when you've been disarmed and your own gun pointed at you?
Excuse me, Mr. Burglar, I have a gun. Are you going to hurt me? If so, I'm gonna shoot you. I submit that the only chance you have is if he never sees you or the gun. Shoot first and ask questions later.
Say, you shoot him. Will the courts agree that it was justified? Will the guy's friends/gang retaliate? Will you get sued for wrongful death?
It's easy to come up with a scenario where it's clear what you should do. I suggest that, in most cases, that split second that it takes you to decide will get you killed.
I'd like to see guns taken out of EVERYONE's hands. But, since you can't take guns from the bad guys, the alternative is to let the good guys have guns. Works for nukes, why not handguns.
I have a loaded pistol within 10 feet of me. But, the older I get, the less likely I am to ever confront a burglar. Jumping out the window seems more prudent.
I let my carry permit expire. Having a pistol in my pocket gave me confidence to go to parts of town where I wouldn't ordinarily go. STUPID, STUPID logic.
Back in the '80's, I owned a 4-plex. One night, I got a frantic call from a tenant that her baby had almost been killed. Another tenant had a gun that went off, thru the wall into the next unit and across the dining table at dinner time. That's one argument against having a gun.
The statistics that such an event is extremely unlikely are of no solace when it happens to you.
Bottom line For most people Owning a gun has more risk than reward.
Walmart, of course.
On 11/11/2014 7:52 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

Never forget, your weapon was made in China, as cheaply as possible to sell to consumers who don't know any better.

Thanks for the vindication. Although English is my first language, it often does not show, ....according to Ms. Macy.

Before buying a gun, I think you should invest in an alarm system, and probably a dog also.
A few years ago, there was a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood. *All* of the targeted homes shared two characteristics: no alarm system, and no dog.