My house got robbed - what's a good place to buy a handgun?

Shotguns are good in the sense that one does not need to be a great shot...but bad in the sense that they'd be easier for a perp to grab before one got a shot off.

That's why it's best to keep them out in the first place.

That's why I previously suggested security cameras.

Reply to
philo

At home defense ranges, a shotgun offers no advantage. The pattern is pretty much a single hole at 10-20'.

And slower to get on target.

Reply to
Pete C.

at the end of that first paragraph [at least, that's what I was told when I asked.] implying I was speaking to an officer regarding his automatic weapon.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I saw it there.

And that's what I thought you meant.

Reply to
micky

Got to be a good shot to hit something with a handgun. Something like this might be more what you need. I sent away for a pistol grip for this gun and the total price for everything was a little over $200.

tom

One of my sons bought a Rem 870 tactical like shotgun with peep-like site for home defense. I took him to range to shoot it and was surprised that it accurately shot slugs at 50 yards. Would make a good hunting gun although it would need to be plugged to hold only 3 rounds in DE.

Think this is it:

He bought it a few years ago at nowhere near MSRP.

Reply to
Frank

The sperad of a shotgun is still only a few inches in the typical house. Almost none across most rooms. Have you ever shot a shotgun with the hand gun typ grip ? Not a good feeling.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Last I was in California, there was a gun show in Corona that let you buy ammunition and fire all the guns they had. You can try dozens of guns in a day and pick which one you want.

Reply to
Adam Kubias

Here's a flyer:

Adam Kubias

There is a better way since you cannot be home all the time. I have small cannons set up with motion detectors. First cannon is set up to go over your head (assuming you are no taller than 6'2") but take a few more steps and the next one is aimed lower.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Best thing to do is to make your home less attractive to a burglar than your neighbor's. You can do that with fences, cameras, lights, sounds, a dog, lots of options.

A gun won't help you unless you're home and "ever vigilant". And that means, your gun is loaded, close at hand...where your kids can get at it. A gun in the basement safe is useless when someone breaks down your door.

OK, so you have the gun in your hand...are you gonna use it? I tell myself that I'd have no problem killing another human who was trying to hurt me. But how do I know that?

What is the definition of bodily harm? In your mind? In the court's mind?

The perp shows up at your door in a fireman's uniform. You gonna shoot him? How about half a second later when you've been disarmed and your own gun pointed at you?

Excuse me, Mr. Burglar, I have a gun. Are you going to hurt me? If so, I'm gonna shoot you. I submit that the only chance you have is if he never sees you or the gun. Shoot first and ask questions later.

Say, you shoot him. Will the courts agree that it was justified? Will the guy's friends/gang retaliate? Will you get sued for wrongful death?

It's easy to come up with a scenario where it's clear what you should do. I suggest that, in most cases, that split second that it takes you to decide will get you killed.

I'd like to see guns taken out of EVERYONE's hands. But, since you can't take guns from the bad guys, the alternative is to let the good guys have guns. Works for nukes, why not handguns.

I have a loaded pistol within 10 feet of me. But, the older I get, the less likely I am to ever confront a burglar. Jumping out the window seems more prudent.

I let my carry permit expire. Having a pistol in my pocket gave me confidence to go to parts of town where I wouldn't ordinarily go. STUPID, STUPID logic.

Back in the '80's, I owned a 4-plex. One night, I got a frantic call from a tenant that her baby had almost been killed. Another tenant had a gun that went off, thru the wall into the next unit and across the dining table at dinner time. That's one argument against having a gun.

The statistics that such an event is extremely unlikely are of no solace when it happens to you.

Bottom line For most people Owning a gun has more risk than reward.

Reply to
mike

Thanks for the vindication. Although English is my first language, it often does not show, ....according to Ms. Macy.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Jim Benson wrote in news:m3piup$u87$1 @news.albasani.net:

Before buying a gun, I think you should invest in an alarm system, and probably a dog also.

A few years ago, there was a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood. *All* of the targeted homes shared two characteristics: no alarm system, and no dog.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sounds effective.

But just in case someone takes you seriously, maybe plans to use shotguns instead of cannon, they're illegal.

You're allowed to use lethal force to protect a person, but not protect property.

There was a business here about 10 or 20 years ago who had a trap gun at his business, and someone broke in, and I can't remember but he was probably hit or killed, or no one would know about this, Maybe just wounded because I don't think the owner was charged with homicide. But he was charged with having a trap gun. I think he was convicted, but I'm no longer sure about that.

Reply to
micky

Generally, if you know which neighborhood sells warm to hot stuff, you can get one for a real decent price. Some of them probably came from your neighborhood.

Reply to
Norman

It would be rare in most cities to carry the shotgun while mowing the lawn or whatever it is you do outside. If you have it with you it's because you went in the house and got it. If you had that much time, could you have figured out some other option besides shooting?

-------

Google is your friend. Search "lawn mower deadly force". I am not kidding, but I thought I would be.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Bobytraps are indeed illegal.

In Texas you are.

Again, bobytraps are illegal. Now if you apply a little technology and have a camera link to your smart phone so you can identify the intruder and you can pull the trigger, that would seem to be legal since you used lethal force to protect your property.

Reply to
Pete C.

Get a dog and you'll have your neighbors wanting to kill you. Not a good trade off.

Reply to
Pete C.

philo wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 06:08:21 -0600:

I like the idea of security cameras, but, the gun is also a good idea.

Reply to
Jim Benson

RobertMacy wrote, on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:28:03 -0700:

Went to a gun store today.

It's 10 days, they told me, in California, but that's not a problem. Plus it's a background check ($25) plus a certificate ($35) they said. Plus, of course, the sales tax (of from $60 to $85), such that we could say the gun costs about $125 to $150 more than the list price.

I looked at these two revolvers today at that one gun store.

$600 Ruger SP101 (cast steel, a bit heavy, but nice trigger) $850 Smith & Wesson 66.8 (forged steel, lighter, less nice trigger)

The gun store told me one advantage is that it takes 38 ammo and 357 ammo, which is $35 and $25 respectively, for a box of 50.

Do those prices seem reasonable?

Reply to
Jim Benson