My house got robbed - what's a good place to buy a handgun?

Page 1 of 6
We returned from a three-day trip and found out we were robbed.
They didn't take much, but broke a back door open to get in. Lost a few things (ipad, camera, laptop, etc.) but that's not what I'm asking about.
If it happened when we're home, I'd be worried about personal safety. In fact, personal safety is the *only* thing I care about.
Googling, I see a 9mm or a revolver is a decent choice. But I don't know where to buy them.
What's the best place to buy such a handgun in California?
On 11/09/2014 09:37 PM, Jim Benson wrote:

Hi Jim,
I would presume to look up gun stores in the yellow pages.
A revolver is a a better choice if you are not going to be doing a lot of fussing with it. They just work when you need them to.
An Auto (9mm) an be a lot more deadly when you need it, but they do require a lot of upkeep and more training.
I would recommend that you go to a gun store that is also a shooting range, take a course and try various guns.
Me personally, I am fond of .45. Fits my hand perfectly. And it has a devastating kill power. Plus there is not end to the customization. To me a revolver is like holding a door know -- very awkward in my hand. But everyone is different, so try them out.
-T
On Monday, November 10, 2014 12:38:58 AM UTC-6, Todd wrote:

I agree with Todd about a revolver.
They are much more reliable than a semi-auto where stove-piping is not uncommon.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8673362_gun-stove-pipe.html
Get a lot of practice at a shooting range and keep your targets.
Post them on your front door as a deterrent. :-)
Jim,
Andy makes a very good point. Practice is important with handguns. Unless you go out to the range regularly, buying a handgun is a waste of money.
Dave M.
On 11/9/2014 11:37 PM, Jim Benson wrote:

Look at why your house was targeted. I lived in a dicey neighborhood in Abq, NM. The robbers would just skip the houses with security and hit the easy targets. Guns won't stop the break-ins unless you are on-guard 24/7. I'm not against owning guns but you have to think about what really works. Security, Beware of Dog signs and security sticker on your windows. My neighbor had a big alarm right on the front of his house. Good Luck.
On 11/10/2014 05:56 AM, gonjah wrote:

<snip>

I agree, I'm sure the house was staked out and robbed because no one was home.
When my wife and I go on vacation we have a friend come and house sit.
Security cameras might do a better job than a gun.
On 11/10/2014 6:56 AM, gonjah wrote:

There is a better way since you cannot be home all the time. I have small cannons set up with motion detectors. First cannon is set up to go over your head (assuming you are no taller than 6'2") but take a few more steps and the next one is aimed lower.
Todd wrote:

I've become rather fond of my FN Five seveN lately. Accurate, reliable, high capacity, and a high velocity, light weight round that tends not to over penetrate through walls and whatnot.
On Monday, November 10, 2014 6:56:37 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:

Same ballistics as .22 Mag but more expensive ammo.
On 11/10/2014 12:37 AM, Jim Benson wrote:

Open the yellow pages under "guns" or maybe gun store. Go in person to four or five of these stores, and tell them what you just said, here.
One or two might be idiots, and the rest will be common sense men or women who know just what you mean, and will be very polite and helpful. They will ask questions, so they know how to best meet your needs.
On 11/10/2014 12:37 AM, Jim Benson wrote:

As others say, look for a gun shop. I also agree with others that a revolver is a better choice for someone that does not put in a lot of practice time as semi-automatics are more prone to malfunction. An even better choice for you may be a shotgun. A good pump shotgun can be had for maybe half the cost of a handgun and there may be less hassle to buy in California.
On Monday, November 10, 2014 9:02:03 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Much cheaper, legal more places, and you can actually get some use out of it if you DON'T get robbed - shoot skeet on the weekend, for example. .
On the other hand, can be awkward to maneuver inside a house, and at inside house distances there will be no spread, you are essentially shooting a loose slug. So you'll have to aim.
Outside the house you have no business engaging - that's what the police are for.
On 11/10/2014 9:27 AM, TimR wrote:

One of my sons bought a Rem 870 tactical like shotgun with peep-like site for home defense. I took him to range to shoot it and was surprised that it accurately shot slugs at 50 yards. Would make a good hunting gun although it would need to be plugged to hold only 3 rounds in DE.
Think this is it:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical.aspx
He bought it a few years ago at nowhere near MSRP.
On Monday, November 10, 2014 9:27:20 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

My main home defense weapon is a coach gun. This is a short, double barreled shotgun. Easy to maneuver but you only have two shots before reloading. My friend has a pistol grip, pump action shotgun which has more shots in the tube.
Paul
On 11/9/2014 11:37 PM, Jim Benson wrote:

As others have said... first thing to do is harden the target. Good locks, signage indicating alarm system in place (you can buy ADT, etc signs on EBAY).
Gun? If you will only have one gun for in-home self-defense choose either a home defense shotgun (short barrel in 12 or 20 gauge) or something like a Taurus Judge in .45 Long Colt/.410 shotgun
The latter is a 5 shot revolver chambered to fire either .45 cal or .410 shotgun. Reliable and the ammo manufacturers are making some very devastating personal defense loads.
Don't let the caliber dissuade you. A friend bought one and his wife, a little slip of a thing who's all of 5 foot nothing, has "appropriated" it for her own personal firearm at home on their ranch. She loves to shoot it and it makes a great snake gun.
With either the shotgun or the Judge, you have a reliable weapon that doesn't require a lot of practice.
You don't have to be good, you just have to be CLOSE!<g>

<snip>

Shotguns are good in the sense that one does not need to be a great shot...but bad in the sense that they'd be easier for a perp to grab before one got a shot off.
That's why it's best to keep them out in the first place.
That's why I previously suggested security cameras.

The Taurus Judge would be an excellent weapon, but, not legal in California.
Couldn't buy it, probably be in trouble if you used it.
On 11/14/2014 6:42 PM, Stumpy wrote:

[snip]

Yeah, you're correct. Exception to every rule and all that stuff!
Only in California have they managed to codify "black is bad" They (and others like the idiots in Chicago, etc.) believe the color of a weapon has a lot to do with its use. Another sticking point is bayonet lugs. Think how many drive by bayonetings they have prevented. It boggles the mind and I'm sure it would theirs too - if only they (the politicians had one).
Still, if you live in the United States (as opposed to the sovereign Republic of Kalifornicate) the Judge (and variants) is a nice "one size nearly fits all in the home defense category.
On Friday, November 14, 2014 11:01:15 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wro te:

I would try before buying. I find them too big, too awkward, too expensive , and essentially an answer to a question nobody asked. Other people love them.
The big advantage is the ability to shoot .45 Colt OR .410 shotgun. I see zero use for a .410 in defense. It might be okay for snakes but I don't sh oot them anyway, I just walk around them. So in my opinion (and others dis agree) you're buying a .45 colt revolver that is unnecessarily large, becau se the cylinder has to accomodate the .410 shells. I haven't checked price s lately but last I looked .45 Colt ammo was much more expensive than .45 A CP.
One thing for sure, you are NOT going to concealed carry a Judge.
Taurus used to make a .45 ACP revolver, dunno if they still do. I think th ey (and several others) make a .44 Special revolver which would not be a ba d choice for home defense. IMO of course. (I don't need one, I have a dog and alert neighbors, and live in a crime free neighborhood.)
On 11/17/2014 8:39 AM, TimR wrote:

That's why I specifically stated that I considered them a great home defense weapon.

Not having one nor the opportunity to shoot one, I won't comment other than to say that since their introduction, ammo manufacturer's have come up with some very interesting personal defense loads in .410
Effective? Who knows? All I know is that I sure as hell wouldn't want to be down range from one when it went off.
.45 Long Colt is still pricey.

Recommended it to a friend in AZ who wanted ONE gun for the house and one to carry when he went on his frequent hikes in the desert and foothills. In the latter situation, I think, the Judge (a derivative) would be ideal. Good snake gun, big gun in a holster will forewarn two-legged predators that they might want to choose a softer target.
In the end a handgun for personal protection is a very subjective, personal choice and the bottom line is "the best gun for concealed carry is the gun you will ALWAYS carry."