My hot attic

Page 2 of 2
Steve Kulpa wrote:

The stuff I have read refers to area of attic. I have no idea of how or when the volume of the attic applies. It seems a larger roof area exposed to sun would take on more heat, but perhaps the higher peak (more volume) offsets the rise in the interior temp. So, area of attic floor .. a 50' by 30' attic floor is 1500 sq. feet of floor. The 1:300 formula gives 5 sq. ft. vent area for 1500 sq. feet of attic floor.
The "bonus room" is an add-on? Heat pump in attic? Does it ventilate to outside? If not, it seems it would heat the attic .. our heat pump/AC puts out an awful lot of heat in summer, to the outdoors.

We know volume can be measured in cubic feet. If you gave an estimate of the height of the roof, that would indicate much more. When you stand up in the attic, is the roof twice as high as you are tall? 1.5 times as high? 2.5 times. Are you about 6 feet?