My hard-wired smoke detector with spliced on power cord and-

plug- plugged into a wall outlet-
saved me A $150 electrician bill and
IS STILL WORKING !!!

No reason it shouldn't work. You used a plug that attaches to the outlet with a screw so it meets code, didn't ya?

Doesn't need to meet code-it isn't new construction! I don't care if it doesn't satisfy my insurance company either so long as I have one of their approved pieces of crap in my house- which is a 9v battery-only smoke detector.
misterfact wrote:

Does it work if the power goes out?

Of couse. It works just like if it was hard-wired. Wether it's hardwired or plugged into an outlet- there's a battery backup.