My gift to those of you still running Win-XP: The ability to get Microsoft updates for 5 more years

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 23 May 2014 09:45:28 -0400, "Mayayana"

    Actually, anyone running IE (any version) has got very big problems. Microsoft was notified about a zero-day exploit 6 months ago and has done fsck all to patch it. Glugle and ye shall find.     Affects mainly Win 7 users.     ;)     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

I'll bet nobody reading this thread or responding to it has actually tried performing the above-mentioned updates.
Microsoft isn't dumb; I'll also bet that if you did try installing updates meant for POS2009 onto desktop XP, the update files will refuse to install on account of the desktop version being incorrect for the updates.
So. Anybody here who has actually DONE this? Not "going to do it", but actually DONE it.
--
Tegger

On 5/23/2014 7:13 PM, Tegger wrote:

Well, no, not actually. But my wife's cousin's hairdresser's brother-in-law's kid said that he could do it quite easily. In fact, he promised that he'd try just as soon as he gets out of juvenile detention.<g>
Sorry, couldn't resist. Have a nice weekend all. Remember, those that can't enjoy it because they wanted to ensure that we would!
On Friday, May 23, 2014 8:13:11 PM UTC-4, Tegger wrote:

Another problem that I pointed out previously is that it's not exactly easy to even test it, nor is there a current need. The last update that was needed for XP was the recent security one and they provided that to all XP customers, even though XP had been EOL'd a few weeks before. So, if your XP PC is up to date, you don't have any updates to download and try via the proposed hack method. And if you do need any XP updates, all the existing ones are still available. You can make your XP system 100% up to date via the normal process. I only see two ways to find out if this hack will work.
1 - Find a PC with XP that hasn't had at least the last update that came out a few weeks ago, put the hack on it, then have it do the update/updates. I'm not sure that even proves it, because who knows if it's really applying the updates from the "embedded XP updates" or just the normal ones that any XP owner could do.
2 - Apply the hack and wait until MSFT issues an update someday in the future for embedded XP, assuming that happens and see if that update gets applied onto your XP PC and if it works.
Tegger wrote:

Oh you poor little lost souls.
If you had done it today (and selected "Custom" instead of "Express" installation), this is what you'd see:
3 Critical updates:
=============== Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 KB2932079 - MS14-026 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2932079 Download size: 1.1 MB , less than 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system. Details...
============= Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 KB2926765 - MS14-027 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2926765 Typical download size: 275 KB , less than 1 minute
================= Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 KB2953522 - MS14-029 AKA Security update for Internet Explorer versions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11: May 13, 2014 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2953522 Download size: 3.2 MB , less than 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system. Details...
================== Now you go ahead and read those microsoft links. And if you really want to be so frighted about the state of your XP system less than a month after "official" end-of-support, you'll read these:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2154620/microsoft-patch-tuesday-gives-attackers-a-roadmap-to-xp-vulnerabilities.html
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-patches-office-sharepoint-and-windows-leaves-xp-behind-7000029405/
As you read them and notice the MS14-what-ever numbers they mention, go and glance at what updates you could be installing right now if you follow my instructions. Those are the same updates being offered to Win-7 and various other platforms - but not for XP.
Yes, I updated an XP-SP3 system with those 3 critical updates.
And then I selected a bunch of suggested updates (there were about a dozen of them). One of those was a root certificate update (dated Nov 2013) that for some reason Micro$haft wasn't offering to me before.
One day, maybe soon, you'll realize that yes, POSReady 2009 is XP-SP3 with a different license agreement, and you'll be dying to get those updates on your systems. So you can thank me now, or thank me later.
And no, Micro$haft will do nothing to prohibit this in the future. The millions of various POS systems around the world are too important to fuck with by trying to make some change that will prevent this hack from working on "real" XP systems.
Mark my words. Hear me now and believe me later.
In the mean time you can all shout "We're not worthy!".
On 05/23/2014 08:57 PM, HomeGuy wrote:

Or you could buy a $99 computer with Windows 7 from Walmart and not worry about your silly XP hacks.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-IBM-ThinkCentre-S50-Desktop-PC-Intel-Pentium-4-2.6GHz-1GB-DDR-320GB-HDD-CD/35963495

    If you foot the plane-ticket, I agree. Then I can enjoy the latest unpatched "zero-day" vulnerabilities.
    http://zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-14-140/
    []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Hey dude! I just effected the change in my registry, and rebooted to log onto the MS Update website. I selected "Express" thinking that these updates should meet the criteria, and low and behold, I got all three! Took about 5 minutes (maybe) and I'm rockin and rolling. Now I did a system backup beforehand, just in case, and will be sure and post if I start having goofy problems. But being somewhat familiar with Point Of Sale devices, as a service tech, I don't expect anything of that nature. In my experience they are desktop compuers, just like any other, only with a limited repetoire of software to run. But they have the exact same security needs as any other computer, which is what they are constantly downloading asnd updating. Soooo, I expect this should work just fine, and wish to express my gratitude for this true gift. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.
Take it easy...
Dave
I have a friend who still uses XP for his business and though he could afford to upgrade to a new machine, he will be retiring in a few months so wanted to see if he could get by using XP.
Over the past few months he's seemed to have accumulated considerably more malware than usual so I had him bring the machine to my shop for a thorough clean up. He agreed to take part in an experiment and I applied the registry hack. I will keep an eye on the machine until he retires and if there are any problems I'll report back.
BTW: He also has a laptop he can use if his main machine goes down so he will not be in much trouble if the experiment fails.
His main machine had been inoperative for two weeks anyway as I was on vacation and did not have time to get to it until I got back.

Thanks!
On 05/28/2014 07:16 AM, CRNG wrote:

Three days with no problems at all...so far so good.
caused a problem
will start a new thread