My GE makes stinky / powdery ice

I have a GE refrigerator/freezer with an icemaker..the kind where you can get ice cubes, crushed ice or water out of the freezer door. The ice stinks and has powder in and on it...the metal in the unit stinks and collects powder on it too. Some of the ice comes through with green slime....I've taken the icemaker apart washed it many times and we still wind up with this....We do have a watersoftener hooked up ...any help or input would be very much appreciated. Thank you Sheli

Doubt it is the icemaker itself. Have you checked the water feed line? Any filters that have not been changed in a long time? Is the softener working properly?

we've been checking for a filter on the refrigerator, but it's not where the book says. As far as we know the water softener is working properly, the rest of the water in the house is just fine. Will be spending tomorrow moving the refrigerator out and checking the back for filter or anything else we can figure out.
Thank you
(snip)

floor and whatever water line (usually kitchen sink cold side) it us tapped off of. Most of the ones I've seen lately are there. Some sort of cylinder shape, with the skinny copper or pex line running off in both directions from it. Easier to stand on a chair down there to change it, rather than drag fridge around. Doubt most people know or bother to change to filter.
aem sends...

Thank you - will check that out .....

There is a class action suit in progress about GE ice makers

How does it apply to this case?
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/11688882.htm
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/business/11688882.htm
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050527/NEWS01/505270446/1001/RE&template=printart

If the fridge in in the model range he will get paid, no matter what the problem is.

Maybe. But that still does not fix the problem today. Class action suits can take years and the lawyers tend to get more that the individuals, meantime, this person has crappy ice.