My GE dishwasher is about 13 years old. Recently the inside is dirty after washing but the dishes are clean.

My GE dishwasher is about 13 years old. Recently bottom and door are stained and dirty after washing. Dishes are clean though. Any idea what the cause may be?

Reply to
Prefer fixing than tossing

Sounds like youcould have a clogged drain or one that is in the process of clogging up. This could wind up being a dangerous condition (e-coli etc) if not corrected quickly. If you are not proficient in plumbing repairs, I'd call one soon.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

eh, not that hard to pull the screen and clean the mung out of the bottom.

Make sure your kitchen sink is draining freely as well. If it's not, you'll get poor drainage from the dishwasher. If you're required to have an air gap in your area that's when you'll get spill over from that, but they don't seem to be common anymore - usually the hose is just run with a high spot.

When I went to the real appliance store to get something for the DW I asked the guy if there was anything that he recommended that worked better than just a vinegar solution to clean out a slightly dirty dishwasher (a few stains, some caked on reside from powdered detergent) he recommended a product called "Dishwasher Magic" run through on sani-cycle, it seemed to work well. Unfortunately the sani-cycle on this dishwasher is no joke, the little upturned bottle of stuff actually melted to the silverware rack, fortunately I was able to pick it off.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Didn't know that. Although I guess I have to keep my air gap as long as I have the same Dwasher?

The OP hasn't said yet if he has a problem draining or how bad it is, and I'm not at all saying this is the OP's problem. But your paragraph reminds me. I once had a dishwasher that wouldn't drain. The sink drained fine. I disconnected the dishwasher hose underneath and checked the pump. Plenty of water poured on the floor so that worked fine. I reamed out the hose to the sink and found nothing, or maybe I blew into it and it seemed fine. I checked the hose from the air gap to the garbage disposal and it seemed fine.

That left the air gap, which I took apart. It looked okay to me, but I did find a small chicken bone in it, the little bone that parallels the drumstick. It was vertical. I took it out and the dishwasher worked fine! I still don't know how the air gap works or how the bone interfered with it.

Good to know.

Reply to
micky

The new low phosphor detergents suck. I'm seeing it in my machine too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Monday, July 29, 2013 4:44:01 PM UTC-5, Prefer fixing than tossing wrote :

ned and dirty after washing. Dishes are clean though. Any idea what the cau se may be? -- posted from

using HomeOw nersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to home and garden related gr oups

I would wipe down the interior with naptha and scouring powder and then run a full cycle with whatever non-foaming dishwasher soap I could find.

Reply to
hrhofmann

On Monday, July 29, 2013 2:44:01 PM UTC-7, Prefer fixing than tossing wrote :

My dishwasher repair man said it is due to hard water. Happened to me afte r several years of no problem. Solution: "Lemi Shine" Machine Cleaner ava ilable at Wal Mart and I presume (haven't looked) in other outlets in the cleaner section. Absolutely amazing. Dunno what is in it but one dose and my machine was back to show room clean again. I bought two boxes of it and have only used that one dose so far after several years.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Probably because you're using a web forum, not usenet.

. Christ> My GE dishwasher is about 13 years old. Recently bottom and door are

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you very much, will look for it in Walmart!

Reply to
Prefer fixing than tossing

Thanks, will clean as far as I can get to it.

Reply to
Prefer fixing than tossing

Thanks for the advice, I cleaned what I could with bicarbonate, vinegar and hot water, but cannot open the slotted protective casing at the bottom..... If the problem continues, I may need to call a service person.

Reply to
Prefer fixing than tossing

check out

for tips and news on appliance repair from a reliable company in California.

Reply to
solesorry