My gas fire keeps going out

Hi, We have a cannon gas fire which has recently started to shut itself off after only 20 mins of operation. Also, In order to turn it on, I need to blow the flames (like a camp fire) so that it will stay on. Perhaps this is an indication of the problem?
Before calling in an expert, are there some simple things that I can check?
Also, there is some gold coloured grit which came with the fire - anyone know what purpose this serves pls?
all help much appreciated.
Steve
Stevoh! wrote:

Hi Steve,
Had a similar problem with my fireplace. Couple items it could be. I got a pipe cleaner and run that down into the jet where the gas comes out. Soot builds up in there and can cause problems. Canned air works well for that too (I realize this is obvious, but you'll want to shut off the gas and give it a bit to cool down before you do any of this) Another item that it might be is one of your logs (I'm assuming you have logs on it) might be out of alignment, that will kick the heat back down and set off the over ride.
Not sure about the having to blow on it to keep it going part... I've never had that problem but it might be related to a sensor problem.
Hope it works out...
spot on advice - thanks very much!
the gas outlet was coked up. cheers, Steve