My garage is COOL

I insulated my garage by blowing cellulose into the walls and laying rolls of fiberglass down over the ceiling. I insulated the door with styrofoam garage door insulation panels from Home Depot. I also installed a 24000 BTU mini split A/C. I can now cool my garage down into the 70s very fast no matter how hot it is outside. Today it got up to 96 degrees. When I got home from work my garage was 82 deg. I turned on my A/C and it was 74 in about 30 minutes. I used to have a portable A/C in my garage. It would run all day and would not drop the temperature below 80 no matter what the temp was outside.
User Example wrote:

Hope you didn't leave the flammable stuff exposed (styrofoam etc) or it can quickly get "hot" and nasty in there...

While it is required by code to be covered, it is not considered a flammable material. It is treated with fire retardant additives.
George wrote:

Are you talking about the garage door insulation? If so, I just followed the directions that came with it. One side has a vinyl coating that faces out. It's the same stuff sold on insulated garage doors.
User Example wrote:

No frig w/ ice cold beer?? pfft...
You either have more money, or a completely opposite type of wife than I. During the best of conditions, my swamp cooler won't get it any better than 20 degrees below outside temps. But I can rotate a 14-footer end for end! Tom
Where'd you get the 240k BTU mini split AC from?
--
benjacobs

What\'s In YOUR Garage?
On 9/23/2005 1:30 AM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@mylounge.com took fingers to keyboard, and typed the following:

He said 24000 BTU, which is 24K.
--
Bill

willshak Wrote:

Oops, I fat-fingered the 0. My bad. Anyway, I've been considering something similar for my garage. I'll definitely check out the Bon-Air mini splits.
--
benjacobs

What\'s In YOUR Garage?
snipped-for-privacy@mylounge.com wrote:

24K, not 240K. That would be a whopper!
I got it from Bon-Air and they sell through Ebay. Just search for mini split on ebay and you will find them and others.