My fan exploded

Most likely all the lubrication was gone from the shaft making it really hard to turn. As long as you kept it on and hot it was able to turn. If it can't turn at the speed that it's intended then the windings get very hot.. The motors are protected by thermostatic and current overload protectors, about 3/4" long. One of these breakers triggered. It can give quite a pop. It's fairly harmless because the only fuel source is the insulation on the wires. The shellac coating on the windings was burning and that's where the smoke and smell emanated from.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I had a window fan that has been running for weeks because of the severe heat. I never shut it off until last night when it actually got too cold in the house. During the last few weeks I have occasionally noticed the slight odor of something hot, as in electrical, but could never find anything causing it. When I went to turn on the fan this morning it would not speed up to full speed. I normally ran it in medium speed and I was switching it from high to low when I heard a sizzling sound. The fan was finally speeding up when it let out a loud pop sound like a small firecracker. Then smoke began to pour out of it. I pulled the plug.

I know about motors, and while I have had motors burn up on tools and things, I never had one make an explosion sound. What the heck blew up?

PS. I just plugged it back in and tried it again, and it's totally dead now. I know that the burnt odor I smelled is the same as the smoke that poured out of the fan this morning.

Time to go buy a new fan. I know there's no fix for this one !

Reply to
anoldfart2

Just like your tired old brain. Smokin!

Reply to
G Henslee

So what was the point of boring us with the story of it dying?

Reply to
Dan C

If you could put the smoke back it I bet it would be as good as new! Never let the smoke out of an electrical device, its what makes them work.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

20 years ago I would have gotta a bit kick out of that post :P

CL Gilbert

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

A run capacitor?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Hi, Most consumer grade fans are not specified to run 24/7. Commercial/industrial/military spec items are different. You fan over worked and burned out I am afraid. At least partially. Another case of you get what you pay for. Sspeeding up means short in the wiring due to burned insulation. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

And yet another Pompous Asshole Linux user !!!

Reply to
racedriver

Reply to
I R Baboon