My fan exploded

I had a window fan that has been running for weeks because of the severe heat. I never shut it off until last night when it actually got too cold in the house. During the last few weeks I have occasionally noticed the slight odor of something hot, as in electrical, but could never find anything causing it. When I went to turn on the fan this morning it would not speed up to full speed. I normally ran it in medium speed and I was switching it from high to low when I heard a sizzling sound. The fan was finally speeding up when it let out a loud pop sound like a small firecracker. Then smoke began to pour out of it. I pulled the plug.
I know about motors, and while I have had motors burn up on tools and things, I never had one make an explosion sound. What the heck blew up?
PS. I just plugged it back in and tried it again, and it's totally dead now. I know that the burnt odor I smelled is the same as the smoke that poured out of the fan this morning.
Time to go buy a new fan. I know there's no fix for this one !
Most likely all the lubrication was gone from the shaft making it really hard to turn. As long as you kept it on and hot it was able to turn. If it can't turn at the speed that it's intended then the windings get very hot.. The motors are protected by thermostatic and current overload protectors, about 3/4" long. One of these breakers triggered. It can give quite a pop. It's fairly harmless because the only fuel source is the insulation on the wires. The shellac coating on the windings was burning and that's where the smoke and smell emanated from.
Al Bundy wrote:

20 years ago I would have gotta a bit kick out of that post :P
CL Gilbert
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Just like your tired old brain. Smokin!
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:18:01 -0500, anoldfart2 wrote:

So what was the point of boring us with the story of it dying?
Linux Registered User #327951
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:31:35 -0500, Dan C

And yet another Pompous Asshole Linux user !!!
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

If you could put the smoke back it I bet it would be as good as new! Never let the smoke out of an electrical device, its what makes them work.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

A run capacitor?
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Hi, Most consumer grade fans are not specified to run 24/7. Commercial/industrial/military spec items are different. You fan over worked and burned out I am afraid. At least partially. Another case of you get what you pay for. Sspeeding up means short in the wiring due to burned insulation. Tony
i like the part where it pops n smokes so the OP plugs it back in. yea. 10-4 youre all set

What's wrong with that? I would have done the same, of course, under controlled environment, i.e. you can pull the plug fast. But seriously, a pop could have been a starting capacitor, however, I wouldn't think too many window fans would have them. A big attic fan, yes, a window fan, iffey. "Not speeding up" would probably indicate a bearing is probably dry.