My engine wont turn over

I had an out of town friend visit yesterday. He's a mechanic, so I decided to have him check my car over. He told me to turn over my engine. I got in my car, placed the key in the ignition and flipped it to the start position. He watched the engine while I did this, and he said there is a big problem with my car. He said the engine dont turn over. I thought he was joking, so he told me to get in front and look for myself. He flipped the key and I could see for myself that the engine dont turn over. I was expecting to see the bottom of my engine turn to the top, and it did not. Before he left, he told me that my car runs fine, but I better get the engine checked because it dont turn over, and they dont work right unless they turn all the way over. Since I could see for myself that the engine dont turn over, it didnt turn at all, not even a little. I know there is a big problem. What could cause this? How can I make my engine turn over so I can see the bottom of it like its supposed to do?
Roger
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 06:37:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You should take the car to a dog trainer. He can teach the engine to roll over, which is one form of turning over.
To teach it only one trick should run 100 to 150 dollars.

Cheaper to do cart-wheels in front of the car. Even rotating the head he might get a 90* turn over.
-- Oren
Your friend must not be much of a mechanic if you still need to ask here. There are many many things that will keep the engine from turning over, too many to list here.