My electrical switch: what's going on here?

Hi,
I have an eletrical switch that controls a ceiling light/fan fixture and above it there's an eletrical box which I opened up for the purpose of taking the following picture:
http://www.math.drexel.edu/~pg/switch.jpg
My goal is to have something more sightly here. Can you tell me the pupose of the eletrical box, whether it can be completely closed off or whether it could be fitted with an outlet?
Many thanks in advance!
Aaron Fude

It could be fitted with an outlet, but how likely is it you'd plug something in there, other than maybe the vacuum cleaner occasionally? If you don't foresee using it, put a blank plate over it. If you want a close match to the wall color, get a metal plate, sand it to prepare for painting, and spray paint it.

Well, it is a junction box, we can't tell what it is for from here. It probably involves the switch below it, but maybe not. Test the wires; if the hot-neutral is always 120v regardless of the switch position, it can "probably" be used for an outlet (unless it is controlled by another switch...)
On 12 Mar 2007 09:41:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I had a telephone wall plate in my kitchen and I hung a bunch of dried Indian corn from it, like they sell in the fall and around Thanksgiving time.
I havent' looked at the picture yet

You don't want an outlet up there; or do you?
Those extra boxes are common in remodeling/retrofitting/addition projects. When adding stuff to an existing home, it is often the easiest way to accomplish the task (but, not always the best).
If it bothers you, it can be patched and painted over.