My crappy new washing machine

Page 8 of 9

HeyBub wrote:

Yikes, luckily most washes would be in the 1 hour range. Doable. Thanks for posting that.
nancy

Nonsense. We have Maytag front loaders in our lodge laundromat. The do a full cycle in 28 mins. OTOH, it's true that once you close that front door and start the cycle, that's it. It doesn't unlock till it's done.
nb

OOPS! ....38 mins.
nb
On 9/20/2010 8:47 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

not true, even if you select "heavy" and "extra rinse" ours takes 70 minutes. If neither of those selected, then 50.
--
Steve Barker

I don't know any that take that ling, but you don't have to hold its hand while it's running. If you like your weekends free, do laundry at night during the week. A load a night while watching TV works.

I like getting my laundry done on Sunday, and it's low cost electricity on the weekends, to boot. I'm not seeking a solution to the washer cycle time, I picked up a washer that does the job in a half hour or so, I'm happy for the time being. I know to check out this issue if I decide to switch.
nancy

SWMBO does the laundry on Saturday while doing other things. Sunday is usually spent elsewhere, though sometimes we switch days. A used washer is often the best solution. We had one die a year before we were planning to move so we bought a $100 set and left it for the new owners and bought new after.
Before you buy new, check reliability reports. The front-loaders have been the pits; bearing problems.

Good plan. Washers are really pretty sturdy devices and can be repaired - by someone who knows what to do - rather cheaply. That is, the thing that breaks is usually inexpensive.
So, instead of getting a problematic washer repaired, many opt for new. Some entrepreneurs scavenge these busted machines, make the repair, and sell them with a substantial guarantee - and for substantially less than their new counterparts.
I often see FREE washers and dryers on Craigslist.
HeyBub wrote:

I thought my washer would be the next to need replacing, but what happened was a chipmunk got in through the vent and killed my dryer. I really did want a bigger washing machine so I just replaced the set ... but I told the guys who came to deliver the new/take away the old that there was nothing wrong with the washing machine. They looked pretty happy about that and I'm sure it found a new home somewhere. It was a good 22 years old then and showed no signs of slowing down.
nancy

Bingo!
Many ppl jes give them away or sell them dirt cheap when moving. Same with chest freezers and refrigerators. Also, the cost of dumping a large old house appliance has now become costly. I gave away my perfectly good washer/dryer and had to pay $20 to dispose of my ancient ....but still working.... refrigerator, when I could not take them with me on a four-states-away move.
nb

Opposite experience here. Advertised a washer and dryer at a low price to sell them fast. I think people were suspicious of the low price, thinking they must be junk. After several weeks of no response, I doubled the price and sold them the same day the new ad appeared.

lol...
Knowing human nature, I'm not a bit surprised.
nb
On 9/19/2010 7:26 PM, Pat wrote:

the new generation of front loaders is different. The water does not come up on the door, and you can add to it anytime you want.
--
Steve Barker

Spoken from ignorance.
Our Whirlpool Cabrio works quite well.
Are you using the proper laundry soap? Serious question.
We have this machine http://www.washing-machine-wizard.com/ge-wcvh6800jww-kingsize-capacity-frontload-washer-white-40-cu-ft.html
It's fantastic. 16 gallons per full load. It takes about 1 hour to do a load but clothes come out almost dry and clean. Dryer rarely has to work at all.
But there is so much electronics that you have to use a non-suds soap like "he" types. Sudsy soaps screw up all the sensors.
Here is a quick read-up on HE soap: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-he-detergent.htm
Costco, at least in Canada sells it the cheapest per load. Our local appliance store sells it to and their price is maybe 2 cents a load more.

This should have read really clean and almost dry... : ). All our loads to date have been clean. And I work in a factory wearing heavy, sweaty clothes.
On 9/19/2010 9:54 AM, The Henchman wrote:

http://www.washing-machine-wizard.com/ge-wcvh6800jww-kingsize-capacity-frontload-washer-white-40-cu-ft.html
BS. we've been using the regular stuff in ours since day one. It works just fine. HE soap is a scam.
--
Steve Barker

Voids the warranty here, even if you buy a 5 year service plan.
On 9/19/2010 3:26 PM, The Henchman wrote:

LMAO! ya ok. I think i wouldn't mention that i used it. duh. Besides the local authorized repair could care less, they'll get paid.
--
Steve Barker

This is a top loader, yes I agree front loaders dont need an agitator and they do a great job.l Wish I had a front loader but they are also 50% more costly.