My chain saw leaks chain oil?

Hi, Chain saw experts out there. I have a Poulan Pro chain saw I use for light chores around my cottage. I store it in it's carrying case. Since new I notice puddle of chain saw oil on the bottom of case. Is this normal? Or what could be wrong? The saw operates fine. TIA, Tony

I`m not a expert on chain saws but have used them. The ones I have used have a button that, when you push it, it extrudes oil onto the cutting blade for lubrication. Any excess of this oil would of course drop off and puddle in the case after using it. Dan.
Tony Hwang wrote:

It is entirely normal. There is always (or should always be) a bit of oil in the channels to lube the chain. When you set it down, this will drain out. The oil for the chain does not have a seal, so it just flows through the channels at will. Try setting it in different positions to minimize the drainage. I just don't worry about it.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I think its normal for Poulan Pro. Clean out the oil and put a couple of paper towels in the bottom and you won't notice it much. My Poulan Pro uses a lot of oil, what I consider to be an excessive amount of oil, and there is no oil adjustment. As a consequence when shut down after heavy use, oil drips from the blade (doesn't leak). If I set it aside for awhile or blow it clean with a compressor, oil doesn't accumulate in the case. I guess the manufacture thinks a little excess of oil is far better than a little too much, and they are probably right, but an adjustment would be nice.
It is normal, chain lubeing
Poulans and Husky cheaper chainsaws leak like crazy. I have a Husky 136 that I keep in a shallow litter box pan with absorbent pads under it to catch the oil. It leaks right at the lube point and there is no fix for it. I try to keep it empty when not in use and add only as much as I need for a cutting job. If my saw did not run so good I would get rid of it due to its leaks. But I use Stihl chains and a Dremel sharpener and it cuts and runs so well. I drain all gas out between uses.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ROBMURR) wrote in message

my poulan pro does the same. it's not a good sign if it does not drip after use.
I wish I could say the same about my pickup truck.
Stephen R.

My Homelite leaks like that, too. I put some news paper in the plastic carry case, and throw the news paper out once in awhile and put dry papers down for it.
At least the saw is paper trained?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Tony Hwang wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Now I have peace of mind. Next time, will buy better saw. Tony
Tony Hwang wrote:

...which might or might not have the problem. I have a small Echo, which is a well-regarded nameplate, and it also drools a bit. It's no big deal; just don't carry it in the front seat of your car, and you'll be fine. :)
--
Bo Williams - snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net
http://hiwaay.net/~williams /