My central a/c won't work:(!!! HOT IN TEXAS!

Page 1 of 3
Hello,
My central a/c system will not turn on and I really don't want to spend the $$$ to get someone out to fix it if it is no big repair. Anyway, here's what happens...
Turn the a/c on by lowering the temperature inside on the thermostat on the wall in the hallway. The central fan blows, but nothing cold comes out. Actually the air is pretty hot! The outside unit is not making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it work and noticed the fan. Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no good reason.
Thanks!
Crista
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why that damned, uppity hunk o' metal!!!! I would proceed with continued kicking until it decides to give you a good reason. Try using steel-toed boots this time. It would be even better if you had someone with more powerful leg muscles do the kicking.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You're welcome. Sometimes laughter can make things a bit less unpleasant. I do hope things get cooler for you real soon :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Rather than offer a good reason, it will probably just argue compressor privelege.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Try posting your inquiry in its entirety on the newsgroup "alt.hvac" which is a more suitable group for in depth technical questions about air conditionaing problems like yours.
I'm almost certain that the professional HVAC folks on that newsgroup will be able to diagnose your problem and give you answers very quickly.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I'm heading over that way right now to see how they diagnose it.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote in message ...

Uh huh. The key word there is "try." :-)
Cheri
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

Kinda hard when they don't answer the pro's questions...
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Either you're a dumb ass, or you can't hang with the BIG DOGS.
Which is it?
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:59:58 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

You are one mean cruel M/F.
You know the jerks over there will slaughter his ass and leave him with a tick and morphine habit.
ValveJob wrote:

Uh, the OP's name ends in an "a", so your comment is probably not gender correct....
And anyone brave (or silly) enough to admit to the world that they tried kicking the compressor unit deserves whatever responses she/he gets.<G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Actually, a couple tried to help, but then she got her panties in a bunch!

Seems like she doesn't like to answer a simple question... Then bitches cause she didn't get an answer...
Oh well, her loss...
Cheri wrote in message ...

Sorry, it was Jeff that suggested the HVAC group, not Doug.
Cheri
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse condition:
If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a moderately handy handyperson.
If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope of the average homeowner.
--
*The relay could be fried or not making good contact.

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is running.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize that the compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can run without the other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!