My central a/c won't work:(!!! HOT IN TEXAS!

Hello,

My central a/c system will not turn on and I really don't want to spend the $$$ to get someone out to fix it if it is no big repair. Anyway, here's what happens...

Turn the a/c on by lowering the temperature inside on the thermostat on the wall in the hallway. The central fan blows, but nothing cold comes out. Actually the air is pretty hot! The outside unit is not making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it work and noticed the fan. Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no good reason.

Thanks!

Crista

Reply to
Bellaziza

Why that damned, uppity hunk o' metal!!!! I would proceed with continued kicking until it decides to give you a good reason. Try using steel-toed boots this time. It would be even better if you had someone with more powerful leg muscles do the kicking.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Try posting your inquiry in its entirety on the newsgroup "alt.hvac" which is a more suitable group for in depth technical questions about air conditionaing problems like yours.

I'm almost certain that the professional HVAC folks on that newsgroup will be able to diagnose your problem and give you answers very quickly.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'm heading over that way right now to see how they diagnose it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, I am hot, but at least I am laughing now:)! Thanks:)!!

Reply to
Bellaziza

You're welcome. Sometimes laughter can make things a bit less unpleasant. I do hope things get cooler for you real soon :-)

Reply to
Dave Bugg

You are one mean cruel M/F.

You know the jerks over there will slaughter his ass and leave him with a tick and morphine habit.

Reply to
ValveJob

about

newsgroup

quickly

Uh huh. The key word there is "try." :-)

Cheri

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Uh, the OP's name ends in an "a", so your comment is probably not gender correct....

And anyone brave (or silly) enough to admit to the world that they tried kicking the compressor unit deserves whatever responses she/he gets.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"alt.hvac"

Sorry, it was Jeff that suggested the HVAC group, not Doug.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse condition:

If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a moderately handy handyperson.

If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope of the average homeowner.

Reply to
HeyBub

Rather than offer a good reason, it will probably just argue compressor privelege.

Reply to
mm

Im tired and they're laughing, so I'd suggest groups.google.com for this ng, with some of the keywords you used. There have been many discussions of what to do. Or just try Find all words

AC fan thermostat 24v

Not that that's the problem, but it will i"m pretty sure bring up discussions about the whole topic. It's a common problem, and found in the archives.

Reply to
mm

If the outside fan is running but not the compressor, then it's likely the compressor motor itself or its protective circuit. If it were the contactor (i.e. the cheap repair) I don't think the outside fan would be running, because they're normally on the same circuit.

I would try shutting it completely off (preferably at the breaker box) and letting it cool for a couple of hours, then trying to start it again.

Reply to
CJT

turn off the power to it for 10 minutes and retry it.

ds549

The outdoor fan may run on 110V even though the compressor unquestionably runs on 220V. Therefore, a blown fuse, bad contactor, or loose connection on one of the "hot" feeds to the outdoor unit could possibly explain this set of symptoms.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

That's possible, too -- I hadn't thought of it. So thanks for pointing it out.

I think the bottom line is it's awfully hard to diagnose these things long distance, especially given the variety of equipment in the field -- the OP is going to need to get somebody with some familiarity with the basics and a multimeter on the scene to check it out.

Reply to
CJT

Seems like she doesn't like to answer a simple question... Then bitches cause she didn't get an answer...

Oh well, her loss...

Reply to
<kjpro

Kinda hard when they don&#39;t answer the pro&#39;s questions...

Reply to
<kjpro

Actually, a couple tried to help, but then she got her panties in a bunch!

Reply to
<kjpro