My carpet flooded, how long does it take mold to grow.

My apt carpet flooded in a 4 sq ft area. The water was there for about 48 hours. It was squishy when I walked on it.
The maintance guy used a machine to suck the water up and then put a fan on it. He said mold doesn't start growing until 5 days later. Is this true? Do I have anything to worry about, if they take away the smell? (it smells moldy right now)
It smells moldy because its moldy when it dries it should go away and die. Keep a fan on it , run the AC or dehumidifier In a few week it should be fine, try baking soda or carpet deoderiser after it drys

Carpets always have a certain amount of dirt & grime that vacuums won't suck up. When wet they will give off an unpleasant odor. This may be what you are smelling rather than mold. Being wet for 2 days has probably caused the carpet to separate from it's backing. In the near future you will probably notice that section of carpet being "different" from the rest of the carpet. I'd push the landlord or insurance company for new carpet in that room.
Bob S.