My backup power solution -- RESULTS

I put it together today. Added a nice isolator switch (thanks Gunner). So now the UPS can be fed with 12 volts either from a battery, or from the truck. I have tested it. The internal battery seems to be in poor condition, which now explains why they threw the UPS away. But I do not care much as I can get 12VDC from external sources. I bought too few cable lugs and therefore could not properly connect it to a running engine. I connected it to a deep cycle battery lying in my garage. Then I powered up the UPS without being connected to the power grid. It started up and gave current on its outlets.
Tomorrow or soon I will buy two more cable lugs, will make nice disconnects for the pickup, and will try to put some sort of a load on it, maybe my space heater or my 500 watt worklight something or that sort.
It was not without trouble. When it was powered by AC and I connected the cables to the deep cycle battery, something blew inside the UPS. I suspect that what blew was some electronic piece responsible for battery charging. So now the UPS does not charge its battery. I do not care much about it however, as I can always use a trickle charger. Everything else works.
On 22 Aug 2003 03:33:34 GMT, Ignoramus27013

Our company uses about 60 of the small units, a couple hundred Watt-Hrs. We service them every two years. For quite a while now it has been cheaper to buy entire new units than to buy new batteries. And that doesn't include the labor to take them apart and swap batteries.

Just make sure there is no fire hazard.

-- W in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira

I have a hobby which is selling military surplus items.
I recently bought a lot of 29 APC Smart-UPS 1400 units, for $52. The batteries were dead in all of them. I bought replacement batts for $35 apiece and sold the UPSes (23 or so good ones) for $140 apiece.
Can't see why batteries are so expensive.

On 23 Aug 2003 11:54:09 GMT, Ignoramus24807

Because you need them ;>} And I guess there are environmental and legal exposures - lead, acid, sealed, in the hands of consumers that range all the way down to low grade moron.
-- W in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira