Must I gut the bathroom?

Page 3 of 3

For years I had only showered in a tub. We bought a house with two full bath rooms. The one at the master bath did not suit my wife so we had it totally remolded. It was not big enough for a shower and separate tub. We just went to a shower in that bath as we almost never use a tub. I think I have only used it once or twice in over 30 years. My wife might use it once a month.
A walk in shower has an almost flat floor. As you get older you do not have to lift up your leg but a few inches. Also install a grab bar or two will make you feel safer. The floor is rough so not much of a slipping problem like a slick tub.
We used a man made marble for it. Three sides go from the floor to the ceiling. The door is glass. Easy to keep clean.

Jon-
There is nothing "wrong" with showering in a tub.
For me its a personal preference and my experience.
Most tubs are rather narrow, way less than the minimum 30" diameter of the typical shower stall. Fixed tub enclosures are typically small & confining. Of course switching to the curved shower curtain rod can really improve clearances.
The other thing hate about tubs (with enclosures) is hitting my head on the enclosure upper member or the curtain rod.
And the final snivel is having to step over the tub edge (while ducking under the curtain rod or enclosure beam).
Maybe if I was awake while attempting to shower all these issues would be moot.
cheers Bob
DD_BobK wrote:

Narrow bothers me less than square, for most small shower stalls No place to step out of the stream. A tub-size long walk-in stall is nice.

along one wall, you can put the rod OUTSIDE the width of the tub. Makes a big difference, and I've had several people slap their forehead and say 'why didn't I think of that?' For a side-wall mounted tub without a deep ell, the curved rods are great.

You pick the mounting height for the rod based on how long the curtain is. You only need six inches or so inside the tub, it doesn't need to sweep the floor. Makes a big difference again. Also makes curtain dry quicker and mold less. Never seen a sliding-door tub enclosure with a door tall enough for anyone over 5'6''.

Not much you can do about this one, other than installing a handgrip. My sister and BIL's current place, the basement guest suite tub has a bottom higher than the floor. Stepping in is okay, but stepping out with wet feet just feels WRONG. I bought and installed a grab rail about the third day I was there.

-- aem sends...