Must Exit Signs say "EXIT"?

Page 1 of 2
I am leasing some some space in a commercial building and am opening a breakfast restaurant. The inspector said that I am required to install exit signs by both entry doors. I am having the place remodeled so the electricians put the wiring there for the signs. I dont want the exit signs to say "EXIT", I want them to say "EGGZIT". That goes with what we will be serving. Does the sign have to be spelled correctly? It's still pronounced EXIT.....
*** EGGZIT ****
God bless America

I didn't realize eggs had acne.
John Harlow wrote:

Man that is pretty lame. Maybe he needs to rename his place "Exit". He can play with the names of the shithouse doors, but fire safety stuff can't be cute.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@AmericaOnline.com wrote in

You are way more retarded than retarded people.
IBC 2000 section 1003.2.10.2 sets forth requirements for the word EXIT used on exit signs. TB
Buy your egg zittt sign and find out for your self, the inspector will have a field day with you and your code violations. But of course we are are all pro building inspectors here.
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 05:55:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

I am a pro building inspector, and I would have a field day with him!
Dan
Dan wrote:

Building inspectors are barely literate, they might not even notice the misspelling. Or, you could just wait until they leave and change the sign. It's not like anyone is going to burn up in a fire because they mistake the big red 'eggzit' sign for something else.

Since the "eggzit" sign doesn't like like a standard EXIT sign it might very well be mistaken for something else during an emergency.
tm wrote:

People will burn up in a fire because in a panic they look around for EXIT and there isn't one. Really, this kind of suggestion is what gives the Internet a bad name.
Codes and inspectors exist to protect us against such schemes. The OP needs to keep EXIT signs as they are specified. He is free to scrawl EGGZIT (and how did he miss EGGRESS?) on the door in crayon if it gives him a kick.
Chip C Toronto
gives the Internet a bad name.

Perhaps he can also scribble "SALADa" to appeal to the hispanic crowd ;)
John Harlow wrote:

Good thinking! And "WHEY OUT" for British tourists, and "SORE TEA" for the French!
Chip C
Chip C wrote:

Argh. Omelette someone else make the next pun.
"Exit" is similar to a stop sign -- you recognize it immediately without having to read and interpret, especially in an emergency. It's a safety thing. You gotta meet the code - what about visitors for whom English is not a first language -- but why not have your own signs nearby -- you'll have the same impact. -- Regards

<Deactivate troll filter> Exit signs are legally required to say one of two things:
either "Exit", or
"This sign was put here by a dumb-ass who would rather have you die in the immolation of this building than have you miss his plebian joke. You should leave this way. --->
Now. "
<reactivate>
(hair dressers, day-care centers, and failing food-service establishments.. Always the stupid names...)
Sounds like the creative names that restaurants use to name washrooms, sometimes you need a multi-language dictionary to find the "mens". The best I have found was in a restaurant on a marina where they named the washrooms "Inboard" and "Outboard".

Eric Tonks wrote:

There's a McDonald's down in Wilmington, NC with "Buoys" and "Gulls" on the crapper doors.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Eric Tonks (etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM) said...

An investment firm by the name of Clarica has run a number of television ads to emphasize the importance of "clarity" in the financial world and one of their past ads had a guy at some club needing to use the washroom and being faced with two doors with Picasso-like images on them that gave no clue whatsoever as to which door was for which washroom.
Smart guy, he just waited for someone to come out of one of the doors, only to find a very androgynous looking individual emerge.
Of course, the Clarica agent then arrived to help clarify the situation.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
Eric Tonks wrote:

Jeff