Must Bleach Be Washed Off Before Painting?

As my last step of prep before painting I spray dilute bleach on exterior surfaces. Must this bleach be washed off before painting? If so, what are the consequences if it's let dry and painted over?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

rinse twice change water often. if you were attempting to kill mold add a midedecide to the new paint and mix well.
it can prevent a reoccurence
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim evans wrote:

What kind of surface? Whatever it is, I would avoid getting it on any metal. When our condo was painted, the contractor used something that smelled like bleach to spray all over the painted concrete block/stucco ext. walls, and pressure washed afterward. I thought the sequence odd, but they did a good job and it still looks good after 6 years. I don't know what bleach does when it dries, but I would rinse it with clean water and let the surface dry very well.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Common bleach is a solution of sodium hyperchlorite. It breaks down into sodium chloride (salt) and oxygen. Oxygen is what does the bleaching. You are dealing with dilute salt water. Power washing it off seems to make sense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.