Must 10/2MC run through joists?

I need to run 10/2 the length of my house, which means drilling holes in about 50 joints and avoiding heating ducts. It would be so much nicer just to fasten the cable to the bottom of the joists. Can that be done with 10/2MC? I've never used MC before; anything difficult about it?
I know (or at least I think I know) that it can be done with 8/2 so that might be worthwhile if 10/2BC isn't okay. Is there such a thing as 8/2 aluminum?
Thanks
You can run 6/2 or 8/3 or larger across the beams. You can run smaller cables if you install running boards next to them for protection

You are right about the 8/3, but 334.15(C) specifically refers to NM. 320.15 says that AC cable can run on the bottom of joints, but the section on MC does not address the issue. I take that mean it is okay. But is it?

While you were posting, I was looking it up, you are correct, my reference is only to NM, AC need a little more attention to mechanical damage, but MC, your free to staple it across the beams

Toller spake thus:

I don't see why not, absent any prohibition on it in your local codes (you *are* familiar with your local codes, aren't you? Didn't think so). I see it all over the place. A little ugly if done in a basement space, but perfectly OK in a crawlspace.

No. Just remember to be *very* careful stapling it; don't mash the staples down too hard or you'll likely create a short. I like to drive the staple in just far enough to make it hard to move the cable under it. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
Toller wrote:

FWIW ... Up here in Ontario, wiring only has to run through joists if the area is going to be finished ... otherwise it can be stapled to the joists.

I don't know much about the CEC... but I'll bet you're wrong. Anyone familiar with the CEC care to comment?
--
Regards,

Oh good. lots of clothesline that way. No height minimum?