Musing ........ rant

Page 3 of 3

$300 / 8 hours = $37.50/hour. If the guy is self-employed (and thus paying both sides of the FICA tax), then taxes alone eat about 1/3 of that. Down to $25 an hour already. Now subtract whatever he has to pay for insurance (liability, health, disability). Just a guess here, but that probably leaves him below $20 an hour.
Still think it's unreasonable?

Who laughs in the end may depend on how good a job you did... <g>
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Or, if he does work 2000 hrs/year on average, that's only 75K gross -- certainly not an extravagant standard of living. Wonder what the OP takes home and if that's too much (or maybe his work isn't "very simple")... :)

I'm retired. Life is structured. Living trusts, family trusts, LLCs. If I need or want something, I just go put it on a credit card. The accountant takes care of it. I'm conservative on spending, so the principal keeps working. I avoid things that are wastes of money. As long as I don't get stupid, the principal keeps snowballing.
Stupid like paying people $50 an hour to do monkey work. I saved about a thousand on this job by my calculations. I saved $1400 on the drywall by running off the stupid Mexicans someone had doing the work at an inflated price and hiring an experienced rocker who is a retired friend of mine. Paid him his asking price, and it was $1400 less than a contractor. All together, saved a good bit on the project. Enough to do some substantial upgrades, buy a new Nikon, and probably spend two weeks at Pueblo Bonito in Mazatlan.
When I do choose to work at what I do, I earn between $50 and $200 an hour. Notice I said earn and not charge? (I paid myself the $50 an hour the grunt wanted to hang wallboard.) If it's real grunt work, I hire real grunts.
Steve

Drywall? Your original list only mentioned these procedures:
Hang six interior doors Install baseboard in a 1,000 sf addition Install door knobs and locks Install door trim
Is this a different project you're talking about now, with the drywall?

Maybe you'd better dig out that calculator that you supposedly know how to use, then, cause you sure can't do math in your head. $300 a day doesn't equal $50 an hour.

As long as you did as good a job as the pro would have done, yes.
But I wonder...
--
Regards,
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:02:17 -0800, "SteveB"

Type? (pocket/game room glass pane French type)
8 foot solid core heavy bastards?

MDF/Oak/Maple?
Comes with the door install. At least by me!

Requires few fasteners.

I was lucky on my first door (exterior metal). The more I learn about doors the less I know. Every one is different :)) Carry many levels...
Oren --

Cheapest Home Depot interior prehung doors with jambs on the planet.

Simplest MDF.

Again, simplest cheapest no key passage knobsets on the planet.

Yeah, a thousand Porter Cable nails are way up to around eleven bucks now. That's more than a penny apiece!

Used two. A six foot Metabo for plumb, and a two foot aluminum for level.

For the simple reason that they need to make a living. While the amount they charge may seem high, consider that it is their total compensation package: Overhead (truck and tools), bookkeeping, liability insurance, license, worker's comp, medical, vacation, sick pay, etc. A good rule of thumb for a self employed person is that the real take home is about half of the hourly rate--that is, a self employed carpenter that is charging 30 bucks and hour is doing as well as the guy making 15 bucks and hour at a regular job.
On the other had, judging from the tone of your post, they may have smelled that you are a jerk and charged accordingly. That's what I would have done.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Was a steel erection contractor. And no, I wouldn't show up with a truck full of equipment and two men for less than $800 a day. But we were doing REAL work requiring NDT and industrial inspector's approval, and not using very simple hand tools to do a VERY simple job that a teen ager could be taught in a week.
Jerk? Hardly. Just someone who can smell a rat. I'm a jerk for asking him to come into my home, and do work for money? And then I'm a jerk for not paying a lot of money for a little work?
If that's what you would have done, then you would have been sitting there idle while your overhead motor was running ............ intake zero, outgo passing sixty ........... just like he did. He preferred to stay at home instead of work. Living a half assed life in a manufactured home on relative's property, and getting unemployment about three months a year. Driving a piece of shit truck, and living a underachiever life.
Whatever winds yer clock.
Steve

How long did he say the work would take to complete? Why are you afraid to answer this simple, yet revealing question, Steve?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

He's too busy admiring his cheapo HD doors, tinny passage locks and MDF baseboards.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

He didn't say how long it would take him. Probably because he knew I could use a calculator.
Steve

What do you do for a living and how much do you get paid?

Hardly a jerk? My mind's made up.

No, you're a jerk because you never had the intention of hiring the guy in the first place.
For future reference, life is too short to work with crappy materials. As another, more perspicacious poster mentioned, it's a good idea to use your 'cost' savings to upgrade the materials. Otherwise you're just a hack hacking on your own house.
wrote in message

Thank you for your erroneous assessment of the situation. I would have hired him had he not been so high. And FYI, we did multiple upgrades. And still came in quite a bit under budget.
Steve
wrote in message

There are two versions of "too high":
1) More than you wanted to pay 2) More than you think he should make.
The first is reasonable. It's an opinion. The second is vapor and can safely be ignored. I'm not saying you claimed #2. I'm just pointing out that there are multiple variables.
wrote in message

Why do you hang on my every post? Don't the up or down arrows work on your computer? Are you drug or alcohol impaired, and possess no reading comprehension?
First, you prattle on in the newsgroup to drag out the discussion where you need not. Then, you get the sequence and facts screwed up. And what's this with the e mail inviting me to the Interstate rest area men's room? If you want to kick my ass, just meet at the west parking lot of the truck stop.
Sheesh. You and marson should get a room.
Steve