Municipal water shut off

My main water runs for about 40 feet under my house before there's a shutoff. How could I shut it off at the street in the event of a catastrophe?

Reply to
kellyj00

Buy a curb key at Depot or Lowe's in the plumbing department (

Reply to
Pete C.

You would need the special long-handle wrench to fit the utility corporation stop valve. You run great risk doing it yourself as frequently old stops in the street are frozen tight and "something" breaks when operated for the first time in 75 years.

Better is to have the utility shut it off for you to install a shut off inside the building.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

At the water meter. In newer construction, there is usually a city valve and a homeowners valve. The city valve can be turned with a wrench or a valve key. The homeowners valve is usually located just past the meter on the way to your home.

If you don't have a homeowners valve at the meter, then I would invest in a valve key that fits your configuration.

As a last resort, you can call the water company and they will come out and shut it off in an emergency.

Reply to
Robert Allison

This is for me, and might work for you. I was told to get a 'curb key'. Looks like a big metal T. Contact your water company, and tell them your intentions, and they should help you.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great

Ditto, Ditto!! Plumber refused to turn off the water at the street, said "too many bad things happen". Called City to shut off my water. City came and guess what---shaft from surface to shut-off valve broke. First came "Dig Safe" to mark existing underground lines. Next came the back hoe to dig up the street and dig down to the S/O valve. Replaced broken shaft (shut off valve was OK). Then a few days later a crew to hot top the repair. If you need heartburn and a big headache do it yourself. MLD

Reply to
MLD

At my house, in addition to this, s/he'll need a 5 sided socket or wrench, to remove the bolt that holds down the cover.

Here, they've tried to keep people from opening them.

(For some reason, we would have to pay the meter reader for each house, so instead we have the water company read the meter for the whole neighbrohood, 109 houses, and we split it evenly.)

Reply to
mm