multiple pressure tanks or a 1000 gallon tank

We have a 100 ft well, but need to have the rest installed - pump, pressure tank, storage, meter etc. Since the well is approx. 150 ft from the home site and down a hill approx. 35 ft, would it be better to have multiple pressure tanks or a large storage tank down at the well (or have the large tank up the hill for that matter) Also, since it's for a 3 bedroom house in Western WA - how much should something like this cost

Reply to
beetlestone

No reason to have anything special. 100 feet is not deep, nor is the 150 feet all that far. Many wells are 4x that and pump to a normal sized tank in the house. Having a tank down at the well may induce other problems, like freezing in winter.

What did your well guy recommend?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

1 guy recommended 2 mid size pressure tanks - eliminating the need for a pump house. Another recommends an insulated pump house - although I'm not sure if it's better to build down at the well or near the house, but still it will cost money to build.
Reply to
beetlestone

If you can arrange it securing and such that it isn't an eyesore, I'd put the storage tank above the house. That allows gravity feed when the electricity goes out.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Beetle,

Why a pump house? Is there a spot in your basement where you could put the pump and tank? Your basement is probably warm enough to prevent freezing.If you do need to build a pump house I bet you already have electricity at the house so that's where I'd build the pump house. Why 2 tanks rather than 1? Meter? What will the meter do?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Meter? What will the meter do?

Same question here and hoping for an answer. I am also in WA (east side). Several years ago, the powers that be were working on making everyone with a well put a meter on it. Of course that would lead to paying for the water.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Unfortunately, the house won't have a basement when it's built - hence the pump house... or 2 midsize pressure tanks 80-100 gallon that would be easier to hide (maybe below ground?) As far as the meter goes, we were told that we would need one in order to get a building permit in island county - sure hope it doesn't end up making us pay for the water

Reply to
beetlestone

They recently passed a law around here that requires meters on all new private wells, and all taps off a shared well with mandatory quarterly reporting. No requirement yet to retrofit existing wells. Supposedly to help manage the aquifer, but you just know it will lead to taxes on usage.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:00:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote Re multiple pressure tanks or a 1000 gallon tank:

One large pressure tank in your house or (non-freezing) garage is all you need. If you don't have enough room in the house/garage, a small insulated pump house will do. I would put the pump house close to the residence for convenience, but it could be located down by the well head if you want it there.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Yep!

I am of "mixed emotions" on this issue.

Even here in Tidewater Virginia, some folks find wells going dry because of the falling aquifer.

A "well water" tax would cut back on the BIG users of water. These are the farmers with irrigated fields and homeowners who get carried away with watering the grass several times a week. But that same tax (and meter) would be just another PITA for us.

In a "typical" deep well installation, the only way the meter would be "accessible" to the local authorities would be to place it next to the "pit-less" adaptor. Otherwise, it would have to be in our basement and occasionally the meter readers would have to have access (if only to ensure we haven't by-passed the meter.)

IF you must have the meter anyway, I would vote for putting everything is a sufficiently sized pit at the well head. In a pit you might not have to worry about freezing and in any case, you have the power for a "pump house" heater. Even in very cold weather routine water usage should keep pipes and tanks in a pit from freezing without the need for extra heat.

Reply to
John Gilmer

on 9/4/2007 11:45 AM John Gilmer said the following:

Don't they pay enough with their electric bills? Adding a tax on top of electric bills for water would only drive the farmer's price upwards, so the consumer would be paying the tax, and the farmer wouldn't be using less water.

Reply to
willshak

Hi,

Why not try to buy one electric tankless water heater?

If you would like to buy one Electric tankless water Heater, I suggest to consider to visit our online store:

We are one Chinese Electric Tankless Water Heater manufacturer. We have supplied some Electric Tankless Water Heaters to some American clients and other countries' clients.

Please take you some time visit our website and products album to know our company and products info. You could find our price list from our album.

If you are interested in our products, please contact me.

Await your early reply and comments.

Best regards

Arthur Huang Ateliving Trade and Industries Co., Ltd Website:

ateliving

Reply to
ateliving