Multiple Conduits in Trench - Power, Water, Septic?

We are in the Process of putting in a new Septic Tank and we have an 8" trench from the house to the Tank, then to the Leachfield.

The Tank needs to pump the effluent to the leachfield, so I'll need power for the Pump and Of Course I have the 4" ABS Sewer pipe.

While we have the Trench there I wanted to put in a Irrigation Tank in the Back 40 while its all open. It would need a 1.25' Water Supply and the Power and Control Lines for it.

So in the one trench form the house to the tank I'd have: 4" ABS High-voltage For the Irrigation Pump High-voltage For the Sump Effluent Pump Low Voltage for the Irrigation Tank Water Levels 1.25" Water Supply for the Tank.

The Trench is 3' Deep and I only need 2' to get my Drop for the Sewer line to the Tank.

So my Questions are:

Can and Should I put all of the above conduits in the Same Trench? What Order should I put them? Seems like the Electricity should be the one on the bottom, High Voltage, Low Voltage, Sewer, then water.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Pete C.

With the 4" ABS line, I don't think there is enough room to put them all Side by side. So if I put the Electrical on the Bottom and the ABS and Water Side by side I know I'll have accessibility Issues, but would that pass an inspection??

Since I need 120 for the Sump and 240 for the Irrigation pump, can I run them both in the Same Conduit? Should I just run the 240 out and then Put in a breaker at the Sump Control and tap off for the 120 and 240?

Thanks!

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Pete is right, the main reason for separation is so you can get to one without disturbing the others. That is particularly true in the utility easement. The usual reason water is deeper than electric is freezing. If you are far enough south where that is not a problem you can put them all the same depth, laterally separated. 18" is the general rule on PVC electric conduit but deeper is better.

Reply to
gfretwell

If inspection is involved, ask the inspector first.

Personally I'd make the trench wider, but with conduit you rarely need to access it again since you can pull wires through it. Also the power and low voltage lines need to be in separate conduits.

Use large enough conduit and run multiple circuits out, one circuit for the sump pump and another for the irrigation pump. There is no restriction on running multiple circuits sourced from the same panel in one conduit, just conduit fill percentage limitations.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thanks Guys!

Wanted to run it by you all before I asked the Inspector just to be sure that its not too wacky of an Idea!

Thanks aga>>

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Many inspectors will not allow potable water and sanitary in the same ditch or may require a minimum horizontal separation distance often with a vertical separation with the potable on an undisturbed ledge. AHJ always wins. I don't think any will allow placing them all in a trencher ditch, 2 foot or more backhoe bucket would be more normal.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message news:yoqxg.135305$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
DanG

I spoke with one of the Plan Check Engineers and they said that all was okay.

Electric on the Bottom, Septic and Water on the top. Made sure he knew it was an 8" wide Trench.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Scott Townsend