MultiMaster

I woke up today to an Infomercial for Multimaster (~$400). Has anyone used one?
Dick
Add pictures here
βœ–
On May 4, 5:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Yes, they're rather useful for all sorts of cutting or sanding.
But the wood/metal blades (the ones I use the most) are very pricey.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Is the tool worth the $400 plus the cost of consumables or can we do the same jobs for less total cost with other tools?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't know if I'd buy one for full freight....I got mine for free & my neighbor bought his used for a lot less than $400.

full price is pretty spendy, as are the consumables........ but it depends on the time saved, who benefits from it (or pays for it) whether it's worth it.
In some situations a task that would take 1/2 of an hour or more can be done easily in few minutes with the MM

depends on what is considered in the cost calc.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's worth $400 to me, but you can get it for less. Try Coastal Tool. http://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/fein/fein.htm?L+coastest+rhfc8521ffea19ea+1210025056#multimaster
Add pictures here
βœ–

Try PriceGrabber for pricing, including shipping costs, from various vendors. Best price for "Top" kit appears to $368 with free shipping.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.php?form_keyword=Fein+MultiMaster+&st=query
Add pictures here
βœ–
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Tool.http://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/fein/fein.htm?L+coastes ...- Hide quoted text -

Looks good. The support and quick delivery I've received from Coastal Tool puts them at the top of my list. Right up there with Rod Lee and Lee Valley.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If you have a need for such. Me, never needed one.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I used to think the same thing. Then I got one - I now feel like I've wasted a lot of hours dicking around with almost/sorta tools instead of the right tool for the job.
If you're looking to bring the price down, look at the older MSX series which is running in clearance and closeout sales. It doesn't have some of the features, but it's a lot cheaper. Buy a kit with a lot of accessories - it's the cheapest way to get them.
βœ–

re: Buy a kit with a lot of accessories - it's the cheapest way to get them.
I sort of agree, but I'm also picturing the 55 piece Dremel kit I bought last year.
It came with lots of accessories, but many of them I may never use. I'm still buying the ones I use all the time, while the extras just sit in the case. Under normal circumstances I'd wonder if it wouldn't have been more cost effective to buy the base model and put the extra money towards the accessories I use most often.
I should explain why I say "under normal circumstances".
55 piece Dremel kit, including the engraver tool Regularly $90, on sale for $80 $50 Lowes Gift Card from my kids $20 Lowes card from merchandise returned months before $5 Off card that I got in the mail from Lowes
Out of pocket cost: $5
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well the Dremel kits are like the fastener assortments where they just try to list the highest number. Over one THOUSAND fasteners for only $19.95!!!! Unfortunately the Multimaster blades are a bit pricey - they last, but it takes a bite. There's a guy on eBay who sells aftermarket Multimaster blades that are satisfaction guaranteed and he has good feedback. Next blades I buy I'll check them out.
βœ–
T have some projects for which a MutiMaster might be the right tool. 1. Refinishing cabinets, 2. Removing kinoleum and installing wood flooring one room at a time. 3. Removing and replacing wall boards and installing wall boards on conctete walls. 4. Knocking out a bathroom wall to extend it 18" 5. Building a new and larger stall in bathroom, 6. Tiling bathroom.
My question is which MultiMaster assessories do it need and which do I not need?
Dick
Add pictures here
βœ–
On May 4, 7:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

A Multimaster, it sounds like a Popiel product, it cuts,it dices, it fillets all the fish you catch !
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote in

I used one that belonged to a client, and it really did a quick job in a tough corner. It's basically a vibrator that takes different heads.
It works well, but I think it's wildly overpriced. I'd buy one if it was $125.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

I saw the last 10 minutes of the Infomercial and said to myself "If it's less than a hundred and a half, I'll buy one".
It looks like a jewel for taking up old linoleum, laying down flooring, and refinishing cabinets. But $400, give me a break.
Dick
Add pictures here
βœ–
On May 4, 7:36 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Dick-
Your OP stated

(~$400). Has anyone used one? <<<<
you didn't ask for a cost / benefit comment
They work great, very useful in many unique situations, can make amazingly accurate cuts (in practiced hands) Can cut plaster, drywall, wood & metal.
Whether they're worth it or not depends on how often ( how many times per year) you use it AND who gets the $'s associated with the time saved.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve wrote:

So that's where my wife spend that $400! :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 5 May 2008 00:40:37 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

If this is what you saw, they are very high quality, and useful, tools.
<http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName ώin%20MultiMaster&categoryIde4&refine=1&page=GRID>
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dick Adams wrote:

Best tool, hands down. When you're in tight quarters it's indispensible. Great for working on a boat.
Add pictures here
βœ–