Multi-Tool Question

Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't they interchangable?

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

That is odd. I bought some blades from my HF tool at Sutherlands. I believe there are some tools that use different blades, but I was under the impression that most of them use the same blades. Basically look at it and make sure that the blades have the circle of holes around the mounting hole. They should work just fine.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Some are. Some aren't. There's no industry standard, especially now that the multi-tool market is so competitive.

All you can do is buy one and try it.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I suspect that MOST blades are interchangeable. If the manufacturers were smart (HF, no-name, Dremel, Rockwell, etc.), they would follow the Gillette business model: "Give away the razor and sell the blades."

I'm puzzled how your blade shattered.

Reply to
HeyBub

They may be but there is no guarantee for that. I was at Harbor Freight when a customers asked if their blades would fit his tool.

The answer was we don't know. We guarantee they fit ours. I don't think they would have lost a sale if there wasn't some doubt.

My untested opinion is that the arbor hole will never be a problem. It is those little holes that may not match up.

Reply to
Colbyt

That is my concern. I bought a HF blade and it fits. However, I would rather spend a few more $$ to get a quality blade that would hold up longer.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I

I haven't used my HF blade much so I can't say how long they last. Used the straight blade only and it seems to have enough flex that it won't shatter. Were you using the round blade? You say you bought a "better than HF quality" at Sutherlands. Was it a HF blade that shattered? I picked up extra sandpaper when I bought my HF and didn't notice blade prices. Think the blade rack was empty, but not sure.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

The straight blades have zero tolerance for a hidden nail. It did not shatter but it became a hillbilly real quick, lost a bunch of teeth. Otherwise they seen great.

The 3/4 round blade is mildly more tolerant but does not like nails much better.

The rounded scraper wears away fairly quickly when removing old caulk from brick but I would consider that to be in the acceptable range. If I were banging my head or **** against the brick I bet both would wear much faster.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You have an early production version - I have one of those too.

My later cheaper one has the nubs that match the blade holes.

(I'm working on 2 houses - hence the 2 MTs)

They should have recalled that first batch - re-tightening is very annoying.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

When the HF blade wears down, five minutes with your rotary Dremel will cut new teeth in it and it will be almost as good as new.

Reply to
HeyBub