multi tool, Harbor Freight and swearing

Page 1 of 3

Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.
It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.
Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?
Jeff
The HF around me, are very prompt and courteous with exchanges or refunds.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Are you talking about this category of tool?
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/d6/d6f03971-bf2a-4b8f-8ce5-0e60308961df_300.jpg
On 8/30/2010 10:08 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/d6/d6f03971-bf2a-4b8f-8ce5-0e60308961df_300.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/multifunction-tools/variable-speed-multifunction-power-tool-67537.html
Well, I guess there's a reason why the thing is so much cheaper than Dremel's version. What is your time worth?
http://www.homedepot.com/Dremel/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xilZgr/R-202038998/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hey, the Dremel version is about a hundred bucks. If price is the determining factor, go for the Fein. It's only $400 or so.
On 8/30/2010 11:15 AM, HeyBub wrote:

How is the Dremel? I'm used to seeing them on small scale work and I need to do things like strip paint and such. I see it is 1.5A and the "Chicago" is a 2.
Is it a bad boy?
Jeff

re: "It does nothing"
What's your definition of "nothing".
Is it broke - i.e. non-operational, no power, etc. - or do you just not like the way it does what it does?
On 8/30/2010 10:12 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nada, nothing, zilch, zero.
No power, could it do less?
I took it apart. Motor OK, power through switch OK. Just so I didn't have to drive so far (I picked up and the way back from an outing) to return it.
If you have no alternative...
Jeff

An alternatives to driving back is...
Contact HF Customer Service and see if they'll exchange it and cover return shipping (if they even want the old one back)
From their Website - http://www.harborfreight.com/contact-customer-service -
email: snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com - For order status, ---> return labels <---, and other order inquiries. Emails are usually answered within 24-48 hours.
Phone: 1-800-444-3353, Monday thru Friday, 6:00 am to 4:30 pm PST time, to speak with a friendly Customer Service representative.

Out of curiosity, were you using that tool with an extension cord when you experienced the problem? If yes, did you try going direct to an outlet, to eliminate the extension cord as a factor?

re: "Ran out to HF (not close)"
If it's not close, you should have driven.
On 8/30/2010 9:20 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? harbor freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good fit for an occasional user.

I bought a Harbor Freight multi tool and I have been regularly abusing the hell out of it for about 2 years with absolutely no problems.

Same here. About when I give it a rest. my neighbor borrows it. Nice guy...he brings it back with a new blade or some such every time.
Joe
Joe wrote:

Make sure you don't tell him what it cost, or you'll run out free blades.
Jon
George wrote:

Because a "good" one costs from three (Dremel) to 15 (Fein) times as much.

Harbor Freight: $70 Dremel: $100
3 x 70 = 100? New math?
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:24:11 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Harbor Freight has one that is almost always on sale for $34. It's built like a tank.

Different models:
Single speed ($34) Variable Speed ($70)
3 x 34 = ~100 3 x 70 = well, a bit more.
P.S. If it were built like a tank it would have a gun turret, tracks, a 100mm gun or maybe a M-67 flamethrower. My $34 HF MultiFunction tool didn't come with any of those features.