multi tool, Harbor Freight and swearing

Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

The HF around me, are very prompt and courteous with exchanges or refunds.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you talking about this category of tool?

JoeSpareBedroom

re: "It does nothing"

What's your definition of "nothing".

Is it broke - i.e. non-operational, no power, etc. - or do you just not like the way it does what it does?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Ran out to HF (not close)"

If it's not close, you should have driven.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nada, nothing, zilch, zero.

No power, could it do less?

I took it apart. Motor OK, power through switch OK. Just so I didn't have to drive so far (I picked up and the way back from an outing) to return it.

If you have no alternative...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Jeff Thies

Well, I guess there's a reason why the thing is so much cheaper than Dremel's version. What is your time worth?

JoeSpareBedroom

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? harbor freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good fit for an occasional user.

Reply to
George

I bought a Harbor Freight multi tool and I have been regularly abusing the hell out of it for about 2 years with absolutely no problems.

Reply to
Ron

An alternatives to driving back is...

Contact HF Customer Service and see if they'll exchange it and cover return shipping (if they even want the old one back)

From their Website -

email: snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com - For order status, ---> return labels

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Out of curiosity, were you using that tool with an extension cord when you experienced the problem? If yes, did you try going direct to an outlet, to eliminate the extension cord as a factor?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hey, the Dremel version is about a hundred bucks. If price is the determining factor, go for the Fein. It's only $400 or so.

Reply to
HeyBub

Because a "good" one costs from three (Dremel) to 15 (Fein) times as much.

Reply to
HeyBub

Harbor Freight: $70 Dremel: $100

3 x 70 = 100? New math?
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Harbor Freight has one that is almost always on sale for $34. It's built like a tank.

Reply to
Ron

Different models:

Single speed ($34) Variable Speed ($70)

3 x 34 =3D ~100 3 x 70 =3D well, a bit more.

P.S. If it were built like a tank it would have a gun turret, tracks, a 100mm gun or maybe a M-67 flamethrower. My $34 HF MultiFunction tool didn't come with any of those features.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Let's limit the discussion only to the actual model Jeff showed us - the one he actually bought.

JoeSpareBedroom

return it.

Reply to
Ron

Most are not as limited in their thinking as you are.

Reply to
Ron