Multi-Pure Filter Change - Spitting Air Now.

I changed the filter in our Multi-Pure undercounter water filter about six hours ago and am somewhat suprised to see that when I dispense water from it it's still farting air every five seconds or so.

I guess it must take considerable time for the entire filter element to get saturated with water, so some air keeps getting pushed out of it when the water is running.

I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Did you let the water run for 20 to 30 minutes after installing the new filter?

RicodJour

Hmmm, I won't use the water right after replacing filter. Label clearly tells to run water ~30 minutes to clean and soak the membrane before normal use.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No, I only let it run for maybe 3 minutes before posting my question here.

Yer right, I should RTFM, the filter label DOES say that near the end of the replacement instructions. But I'd expect that if there was a genuine hazard in not doing that it'd be printed in larger font with a big "WARNING" adjacent to it.

I didn't read the whole filter label, likely because the replacement procedure is so obvious.

We use the same MultiPure filter with a CB6 cartridge ahead of our office's hot & cold water dispenser.

About once a year the local MultiPure representative swings by, cleans the dispenser and changes out the filter. But he sure doesn't hang around for a half hour afterwards running water to waste when he's done, nor does he tell us to do that. That's another reason I didn't think to run a lot of water down the drain.

I'll have to ping him about that.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Hard to believe the serendipity of it, but our Multi-Pure distributor called me this morning to schedule a cleaning and filter change.

I asked him about the "flushing" of a new filter and why he didn't run (or tell us to) run walter for half an hour after the filter change. He explained that he preflushes the filters before he brings them over and installs them.

That made sense. He also told me that there's no real health hazard involved in not flushing the filters for half an hour, it's just that initially a lot of fine air bubbles will show up in a glass of water and give it a cloudy look. I told him I'd noticed that and the bubbles dissapeared from the glass of water in less than a minute. He said five minutes of flushing a replaced filter is plenty of time.

End of story...

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia