Mullion grids

I am the new owner of an existing home. An interior door leading to the de n has a mullion grid to create the effect of being 15 smaller glass panels. The basic door and mullion grid are wood. This grid is very loose. Appear s that previous owners removed the grid when cleaning. The grid itself hel d in place by grid pin retainers such as this: http://www.slide-co.com/home4.wcs?nMenuid500&cProd=PL&cSProd 7&cI tem=PL+15685
I'm suspecting these were originally installed improperly. The mullion gri d frame currently holds both the pins and the receivers. As such only a ve ry small portion of the pin actually makes contact with the door structure itself. Seems that the door ought to be where the receiver resides. That way the pin would pass through the mullion grid until joining the receiver portion that rests in the door. Am I correct? The graphic on the packagin g is very unclear in this regard.
Might there be better alternatives? Such as using Velco pads? Considering the very light weight of the mullion grid itself might this or a similar m eans make more sense?

the very light weight of the mullion grid itself might this or a similar means make more sense?

I think you mean a muntin grid. Common mixup. Why not just remove them? They always look tacky, anyway.
Mayayana wrote:

All windows, doors have double or triple panes here so grids are sandwiched between panes. You must have single pane glass frame? How about sticking on some nice murals instead of loose grids.
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:04:34 AM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yes, the door is single pane of glass with the grids on the outside.
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:59:47 AM UTC-6, Mayayana wrote:

Actually quite decorative. Besides also a safety factor. That huge glass door could easily be mistaken as being open otherwise.

Some door manufacturers just stick them on with silicone. This means,of course, that they are a real PITA to paint and a slightly lesser one to clean. If you want to be able to remove them, try carpet tape. SMALL pieces and not too many.
--

dadiOH
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:26:23 PM UTC-6, dadiOH wrote:

No experience with carpet tape. Advantage that over Velcro?

Thinner, easier to attach.
--

dadiOH