Mudding and taping next to outlet

When mudding and taping and finishing a seam - what should you do when an outlet opening runs right next to it? Seems like it ruins the pull when you have to swerve the knife out of the way to miss getting mud all over the outlet or picking up drywall grit into your mud when the knife passes over the hole.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Start at the outlet and go either way away from it not to it.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

How do you approach the seam that is right next to it? Just use a small knife and forget the tape?

Reply to
Eigenvector

I do the same as Rich says. I put a strip of masking tape over the plug or switch or pull them. You could pull the plug or switch, lay tape over the box and mud/tape as if it weren't there. Pull the tape off after each application. Never tried that but it should work.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K