mud rooms

That would piss me off. I'll take a lecture over a ticket, but I don't want both. I'd be very nice to him, up to the time he handed me the ticket.
rooms:

I grew up in Astoria. When I first started to drive in 1965 I had 1961 Sunbeam Alpine. The only place I could get "foreign car" parts for it was a small parts store that was in Flushing. I seem to recall that is was near where Norther Blvd crossed over the creek near College Point Ave. I could be wrong about that. It's been a long time.
I left NYC in 1969 and never went back, except for very brief family visits.

Well I moved from Flushing to Nassau County for a couple of years before I moved to Texas. I left LI in late 1979. I use to take the subway train thru Astoria on the way to Manhattan. I think it was the IRT #7.

Yep...it was the 7 train that went from Flushing (Roosevelt Ave) to Times Square in Manhattan.
2nd stop out of Flushing was Shea Stadium and Flushing Meadows Park.
I spent a few summers working in the park driving a "people mover" train between the zoo, the stadium and the boat house.
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 23:11:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I remember a bunch of my college friends and I had a nice game of touch football in Flushing Meadow Park. I remember there was a large field and that's where we played. Don't know if that spot is still there and to be honest, I don't remember the exact location now.
rooms:

I don't think you actually went through Astoria on the way to Manhattan. You probably are thinking of Queens Plaza at the edge of Long Island City where you could have switch trains to take the Manhattan train into the tunnel and under the East River. The upper part of the Queens Plaza station overlooked Long Island City HS where I went to school.
Man, you are bringing back a lot of memories.

You are right. The #7 goes through Corona, Jackson Heights and Long Island City before heading under the river.
You have to switch to the N train at Queensboro Plaza to get to Astoria.

No kidding!
On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 10:04:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Here's a question for you. When taking the train from Queensboro Plaza to Flushing, the first or second stop along the way had some kind of avaition oriented high school there. It was like a trade school that taught avaiation industry skills such as engine mechanics, etc. What was the name of that school? I can't remember it!

Aviation High School
http://www.aviationhs.net/site_res_view_template.aspx?id=a057d48e-a5d4-4049-86df-12ff765a9577
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 06:01:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Duh! Well that makes sense. Thanks.

Yeah, you're correct. My bad :(

the "secondary" entrance, not the formal entrance - while the "foyer" is at the formal or primary entrance.
More or less an off-shoot from the farm-house where when you came in from the barn there was a room where you took off your "barn clothes" before entering the kitchen.(after the days of the "woodshed" and "summer kitchen")
And do you call the foyer the "foy yey" or the "foy- yerr"
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:05:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I pronounce it as the latter but don't ask me what Texans call it as I never asked them. I do know that "pecan" is pronounced different than what I pronounced it in NY and it's the only word that I actually now pronounce as a Texan. In other words as long as I don't say that word in NY, no one will ever know I moved away years ago from NYC / LI. I've been told that I never lost my NYC accent tho it's funny now .... when I listen to some NY'ers, I hear their accent whereas when I lived there, that never happened.
On 7/2/2012 3:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Foyer, schmoyer! We called it the front hall....would have been a little strange for a family of five in a two-bedroom apartment to get snobby about that small space. Parents lived in same apartment for over forty years, brother in same building for sixty.

That is what you call an "air lock" - which IS one function of a mud-room.

On Jul 2, 7:06pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Which *could be* one function of a mud room.
Not all mud rooms are designed to be air locks.
Here's lots of pictures of areas referred to as mud rooms that aren't serving as air locks.
http://www.houzz.com/mudroom

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:42:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

implement it or not is his problem. I didn't say ALL mud rooms are air locks - but if it has a door on either end, making it a ROOM, not a hallway, it can be used as an air-lock.
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 19:06:43 -0400, clare wrote:

We call ours a "dog lock"; it stops the critters escaping when coming into the house.

If you'd have ventured up as far as the Catskills you'd have heard the term since about the 50's.
In general terms- it was where you kicked your boots off. I've seen them 4x4 & I've seen them 12x40. Might be heated space-- maybe not. Could have a brushed concrete floor-- or imported Eye-talian marble. . . .
Jim