MTD snowblower

I just fired up my brand new MTD 30" snowblower. The noise from the engine in so loud that it is unbearable, even with earmuff type ear protectors on. What could be the problem?
On 12/01/2014 05:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What kind of noise? Exhaust noise or mechanical noise? If the latter, did you check whether it had any oil in it, and put oil in it if needed?
Did you read the Owner's Manual, or are you a "real man"(TM)?
Perce
Always 4 peace:
A 30 inch snowblower will have a gasoline engine on it and will need oil in the crank case. Where I live, most people use 5W30 simply because it's hard to get 0W30. Both should work OK in your snow blower.
Pull out the dip stick on the engine and confirm the oil level is in the cross hatched section of the dip stick.
(IF you ran that snow blower for any length of time without any oil in the crank case, you may have ruined the engine in it. Please tell us you didn't do that.)
If there's oil in the crank case, check that there is a muffler on the engine and that it's securely fastened in place.
--
nestork

that it is unbearable, even with earmuff type ear protectors on. What could be the problem?

I had a lawn mower that did that. The muffler had rotted and fallen off. My mower wasn't "brand new", but who can tell. Defective muffler? Missing from factory in Chinky?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Take it outside. It makes a lot of reverberation when you run it in the kitchen.

Mufflers wear out. Did you examine yours?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 12/2/2014 9:31 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:

Says the machine is brand new. How many miliseconds are mufflers rated, anyway?
I'm on the "defect in manufacture" theory.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Don Phillipson wrote:

Did you miss the BRAND NEW part above ? My bet is that the place he bought from it didn't service it before delivery . Though that would depend on where it was purchased , and he should have checked things like oil , etc before he ever started it . Ya think we'll ever hear back what the problem is/was ? I have doubts ... mostly because the poster is not a regular to this group .
--
Snag

The problem is that you bought an MTD.
On 12/2/2014 2:15 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Don't they make a half dozen other brands too? Just change the paint color and label.
On 12/2/2014 1:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

+1 You name it, MTD is the power behind the throne. IIRC, you have Cub Cadet, MTD, Troy-Bilt (there goes the neighborhood<g>), and many, many more. I suspect you're swinging low with a half dozen, Ed.
On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 09:31:25 -0500, "Don Phillipson"

On 12/2/2014 4:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, some wear out really, really, REALLY quick.<g>
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

the shag carpet!
--
Tekkie

Unquestionably Confused posted for all of us...

Especially without earl.
--
Tekkie