mower won't turn over

Page 2 of 2

Probably could mean a few things. I'll leave those possibilities to those who have solved that type of problem via nitty gritty digging. The times I've had carb problems I tend to just get a rebuild kit and a can of carb cleaner. Sometimes see the cause when I take it apart and sometimes not but the rebuild and cleaning takes care of it.
Or you could get a replacement carb and be done with it. Either way, change the oil before trying to run it again. As Ransley said, oil is likely diluted with gas. Will quickly ruin bearings and then some if run as is.
Don't know what those wires are for. I'm sure someone has input.

-
Some mowers have a fuel shutoff solenoid mounted on the carb. Turn off the key and it shuts off the fuel. Supposedly it eliminates chugging/ running after you turn the motor off - although I don't know exactly how it does it.

It has a fairly low center of gravity by design. Get a neighbor or two to help you lift one side and you can get it over. If you can park sideways on a hill, it is much easier.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Did you try to jump it? Getting a spark? Spark plug clean and gapped to spec? Inspect spark plug wires? Check/change oil? Bad gas? Following the recommended maintenance schedule?
cj wrote:

I bought a nice 20 horse riding mower with snowblower dirt cheap because the owner did not realize the cowling around the fly wheel was dented into it preventing starting. He also replaced the battery and starter to no avail. He gave up and it sat in his field for a couple years then sold it to me. Runs real nice and is almost new. I like a nice bargain.
Sounds like time to get the volt ohm meter out. Check the volts at the battery, while turning the starter. Jump it to get the mower running, check the battery voltage with the machine running. That kind of test. Fairly basic.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus