mower won't turn over

cj wrote in news:L1dpm.146213$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.iad:

Probably could mean a few things. I'll leave those possibilities to those who have solved that type of problem via nitty gritty digging. The times I've had carb problems I tend to just get a rebuild kit and a can of carb cleaner. Sometimes see the cause when I take it apart and sometimes not but the rebuild and cleaning takes care of it.

Or you could get a replacement carb and be done with it. Either way, change the oil before trying to run it again. As Ransley said, oil is likely diluted with gas. Will quickly ruin bearings and then some if run as is.

Don't know what those wires are for. I'm sure someone has input.

Reply to
Red Green

Sounds like time to get the volt ohm meter out. Check the volts at the battery, while turning the starter. Jump it to get the mower running, check the battery voltage with the machine running. That kind of test. Fairly basic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

net:

I diagnosed the problem when it wouldn't turn over (saw gas on dipstick). Pulled plut and made sure the plug wire could not spark. Changed oil and then hit the starter - let it roll for many seconds to clear it out. Problem was the usual 'stuck float valve'.

??? Why would an inline filter prevent it? It is just a porous filter andgas should flow through it, perhaps not as fast as an unobstructd line but...

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

It would keep the crap out of the float valve - most common cause of "stuck" float valve.

Reply to
clare

Some mowers have a fuel shutoff solenoid mounted on the carb. Turn off the key and it shuts off the fuel. Supposedly it eliminates chugging/ running after you turn the motor off - although I don't know exactly how it does it.

Reply to
Red

cv.net:

But that is what happened to mine. Stuck float valve and it did have an in'line.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

motor won't turn over..new starter, new

center of gravity by design. Get a neighbor or two

side and you can get it over. If you can park

much easier. Be sure to tie it up!!! Last summer a young friend did something like this - had it jacked up and was working on it. But he did not tie it up. Thing fell on him. His dad found his dead body with a broken neck! He was only

19.
Reply to
Dymphna