Mower weirdness

I have a three year old MTD mower with off-brand "Powermore" motor. Today it has started to miss for a few minutes and then all of a sudden it speeds up way past normal to the point I get concerned about blowing up. I turn it off, and immediately restart it and it goes back into the running rough stage for awhile before it takes off again. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Lost/broke governor spring???

Reply to
dpb

It is still there, but it appears to be, well sprung. I get it started and move the governor back and forth by hand that seems to alter the problem. It is still under warantee so I don't want to mess with it. For those playing at home, I have had it 3 years and this is the 6th time I've taken it in for warrantee work.I shall be retiring the next time it screws up. K

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

This time it was a different problem. However, I got it at the end of the season for around $150 (after some in-store rebate checks I had), so I guess I still more or less got my money back. The service store is only about 10 miles away, so it wasn't that expensive to run it over 2 times a year. However, I won't buy an MTD brand ever again especially with a no-name engine. Anybody have any suggestions for a good brand?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That engine is made in China by Chinese for Chinese. Briggs and Stratton should be ashamed of themselves for selling that crap in America. You must have bought it from the urban cowboy store. (TSC)

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

MTD is a good brand. It's the engine that sucks. And the urban cowboy store.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

Consumer Reports top three push mowers: Cub Cadet SC100 11A-A92J $250 Craftsman 37432 $220 Yard Machines 11A-B96N $240

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I ran one for 15 years without an oil change. I'm very distressed that B&S is climbing in bed with the Chinese.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

Worse.. Menards. This is not a B&S engine.. at least not branded as such.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Technically, it needs to be selfpropelled. As I am learning now using my kid's push mower on a yard that is about 3/4 acre mowable... not to mention the realtively steep (especially when pushing) falls off behind the pool (grin)'

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Sears and Craftsman do not make anything. Depending upon the model number, the mower could be made by any number of manufacturers, including MTD.

Reply to
willshak

OT comment last year as a joke bought a friend a goat. Goat was PG and he now has a small heard. Smart man he rents them out to clear tight and unnavagatable areas of weeds.

Every once and while he has a goat BBQ. Not bad.

Reply to
NotMe

What is the name of it again?

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

I wonder if goats can eat poison ivy and poison oak? If so, they can be rented out for good money.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The mower was MTD. The engine was Powermore (premium OHV engines).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My apologies. I didn't realize you were into energy conservation.

Multi speed self propelled, best buys:

Honda HRR2169VKA $400

Troy-Bilt TB-280ES 12AGA26G $340

Toro Recycler 20332 $360

Troy-Bilt TB-320 12AVC35U $330

Single speed self propelled, best buy:

Toro 20370 $280

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That MTD Powermor motor is a pretty lousy piece of work from what I've been hearing,

Reply to
clare

Powermor isn't exactly "no name" - it is MTD's name for their import engine.

Reply to
clare

And at least 2 of them are made by MTD. Not sure about Craftsman.

Reply to
clare

They're supposed to be willing to eat poison oaks and ivys. At least that's I keep hearing.

A couple years ago some stray goats flocked over here. The beat the crap out of the peach tree and did not appear to eat any poison oak, so not a net positive. They did *really* enjoy the weavil infested pasta I threw out. Eventually the neighbor's dog ran up to the fence barking and the goats never returned.

Fake ID