mower runs for a couple of minutes only

Page 2 of 2

willshak wrote:

Actually, I changed the oil along with air filter and spark plug.
Add pictures here
✖

When it wont start spray in some starting fluid, and remove the plug and check for spark. What you describe is what has happened to me several times and it was the ignition module, eventualy it wont start at all. it could also be the coil but starting fluid and checking for spark rule out ingition.
Add pictures here
✖
Hmm. Spray some ether into the carb, then pull the plug and give er a big yank. I sense an ether explosion about to occur. Like the old limerick "and lightning shot....."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You just dont get it do you, ok I will expain it for you since you cant figure this basic one out and you ruined a motor with Either, Test first with Either by spraying just a shot into the carb, if it doesnt start test for spark by removing the plug, reinsert it back into the socket, ground the plug on the head. While someone else pulls the starter cord, check strength and color of spark. Now stormin, do you get it. Its not at that difficult but I made it easy so you dont blow up another motor. Since this is basic kids stuff I forget to be complete for the less understanding, now dont tell us, do you need the saftey warnings also on all the dangers, geeze wake up stormin.
Add pictures here
✖
The maroon now changes his instructions. Having been caught giving dangerous instructions.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

.
I guess I should have made it clear for Are You Smarter Than A 4th Grader Stormin, I will do better next time kid. BTW Maroon was reserved for you years ago for good reason. And just when I thought being nice was correct, so that will change.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 04:24:38 -0700 (PDT), ransley

This is okay for a lawnmower, but be careful with something bigger, like a 1970 Ford LTD convertible with V-8 engine.
I was in a small garage if that matters. I sprayed in starter fluid, then took off a plug wire to check for spark and the whole thing exploded in my face.
Fortunately, I didn't flinch or the edge of the hood would have cut deeply into the back of my neck, or the hood itself would have banged my head.
But when I looked at the valve cover near me it was ripped up from 4 of the bolts, spread around the circumference -- the holes were either elongated or the outer edge of the hole was broken off -- and between the good bolt holes, the rim was lifted in about 3 places. I had totally ruined the valve cover and they don't sell them at autoparts stores**. Nor are their junkyards in Brooklyn.
**So I had to go to a speed shop and by a set of chrome valve covers. I only put on one, but my brother never complained.
I guess I'm lucky it didn't also blow apart the carburetor, manifold and cylinders, and how the spark or flame got under the valve cover, I do not know.

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:50:53 -0400, mm wrote:

Leaky valve stem seals could allow vapor in that area.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 01:36:52 +0000 (UTC), Chief Two Eagles

Tbat makes sense. I guess the valve cover was the only place it accumulated, and the carb throat, manifold, and cylinders were cleared by normal engine operation??
I was trying to start my brother's car, which was broken he had told me, while he was out of town. I don't remember if or how I actually started it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:09:23 -0400, mm wrote:

If you remember the real old motors they always had a vented valve cover cap. When car manufacturers became more pollution conscious they vented valve cover vapors into the intake manifold. I supposed the ether could have backed up into the valve cover that way too but usually there was a one way valve in the vent tube that would prevent that providing it wasn't stuck open from lack of maintenance.
Add pictures here
✖
John Smith wrote:

I would have thought the spark plug. You got 2 bad plugs and keep swapping them? I've seen it happen.
--
LSMFT

✖
Champion had a bunch of bad CJ-8, years ago. Try different brand.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
John Smith wrote:

Cheap check. Does it run okay with the gas cap removed?
As the gas is consumed, more is required. If the gas cap does not have an adequent vent, the resulting vacuum prevents additional gas from being consumed.
Or it could be a malevolent foreign god.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:30:40 -0400, John Smith wrote:

Take a trip to the small engine repair shop. If you wait for an answer here above the noise of the constant bickering between know-it-allsm mowing season will be over.
Add pictures here
✖

Gas or Spark problem, I'd dribble a little gas into the throat of the carb and try to start it. If it starts and runs a little its a fuel problem, no start its a spark problem.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖