Mower runs for 10-15 minutes and then starts sputtering

I have a fair;y new mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. The mower has always started reliably but this year it started sputtering right after st arting it.

I checked the gas cap, fresh gas, clear the air filter, and cleaned the car b with carb cleaner and Chemtool B12. Now the thing runs for 10 to 15 min utes like it is brand new and then starts sputtering. I have tried this ov er and over and it always starts sputtering at that point.

Really puzzled, any ideas?

Reply to
noname

I checked the gas cap, fresh gas, clear the air filter, and cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and Chemtool B12. Now the thing runs for 10 to

15 minutes like it is brand new and then starts sputtering. I have tried this over and over and it always starts sputtering at that point.

Really puzzled, any ideas?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like it will be a fuel problem. You may have to remove the carb and do a really good cleaning. Was gas left in the tank? are you using ethanol gas? Always look for the obvious

Reply to
herb white

s always started reliably but this year it started sputtering right after s tarting it. I checked the gas cap, fresh gas, clear the air filter, and cle aned the carb with carb cleaner and Chemtool B12. Now the thing runs for 10 to 15 minutes like it is brand new and then starts sputtering. I have trie d this over and over and it always starts sputtering at that point. Really puzzled, any ideas?

Maybe clogged air vent in the gas cap, have you tried removing the gas cap when it starts acting up/sputtering??

Reply to
hrhofmann

s always started reliably but this year it started sputtering right after s tarting it. I checked the gas cap, fresh gas, clear the air filter, and cle aned the carb with carb cleaner and Chemtool B12. Now the thing runs for 10 to 15 minutes like it is brand new and then starts sputtering. I have trie d this over and over and it always starts sputtering at that point. Really puzzled, any ideas?

Another thought!! After it acts up, how long do you have to wait to restar t it and have it run OK? Could it posssibly be overheating due to debris b locking the airflow under the shroud around the top of the motor??

Reply to
hrhofmann

Try this... next time it acts up, crack loose the fuel cap and see if it doesn't magically clear up.

If so, find and correct the cap's vent blockage.

If that doesn't do it, I'd suspect a thermally induced issue... like maybe a coil or condenser.

Could it be overheating? Are the cooling air passages under the baffles, and between fins packed full of grass or some other spooge... like maybe a mouse nest?

Erik

Reply to
Erik

agreed.

Reply to
woodchucker

No condenser on a "fairly new" Briggs and Stratton engine. Could be a bad ignition module/coil - could also be a bad plug - but my vote goes to a carb problem.

Reply to
clare

Hi. I had heat sensitive module once. It starts fine but when engine got hot it quit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Drain the carb bowl completely, might have water sitting in teh bottom of it. Putting fresh gas in the tank won't get rid of the water in the carb.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher