Mower motor won't spin

Page 1 of 3
Brand new out of the store Briggs 450 E 125 CC vertical shaft engine. I added oil out of the store supplied jug and fuel. It's the right amount of oil according to the manual. I can't pull the rope hard enough to make the engine turn. I can turn the engine by pulling on the blade. There seems to be something scraping on the bottom end of the engine by the blade. I took the oil fill plug out. No difference. Taking the spark plug out didn't change much. And yes, I did disconnect the plug wire before pulling on the blade. Two mowers, same results. Any ideas?
“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever” Chinese proverb.
On 6/19/2016 8:15 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

If the mower has a blade brake, you have to pull whatever handle releases it to crank the engine.
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 11:21:13 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:

.

oes not

it

+1
And RTFM.
On 6/20/2016 9:06 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Could have gone to a dealer that puts the oil in and then shows you how to run everything. But that would have cost $20 more.
The first "dead" mower is now going back to the factory and both the selling store and the manufacturer incur a needless expense.
On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

the

rd

ade.

o does not

ses it

Actually that expense winds up with you and I. The prices of mowers have to cover the needless returns. It probably won't go back to the factory though, the retailer will check it out, mark it down a bit as an open box.
On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 8:51:36 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

...unless it Walmart and the supplier has to bite the bullet...
On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 10:41:51 AM UTC-4, bob_villain wrote:

You can't possibly be that dumb. Any costs that the supplier has, whether it's the cost of materials, labor, fuel, rent, taxes, just gets passed on in the price of the goods that the consumer winds up paying.
On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 9:48:49 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

If I'm dumb...then you would be bumber in the hypothesis! You obviously don't know what suppliers deal with catering to Walmart.
On 6/20/2016 11:07 AM, bob_villain wrote:

You may or may not be "bumber" but one way or another the cost is bounced back to the consumer.
You do know that corporation don't pay taxes either.

Corporations pay taxes on reported income - but have ways of reducing that significantly for tax purposes - and with Walmart all rules of retailing go out the window. The supplier takes ALL the risks - Walmart takes none - and the expense gets passed on to the supplier's OTHER costomers because they can't recoup it from Walmart. Eventually the consumer pays - but not if they only by from Walmart.
On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 11:07:25 AM UTC-4, bob_villain wrote:

His point is that the supplier can not operate at a loss for any significant period. Therefor they will price items to accommodate what ever walmart forces them to eat. At the end of the day you the consumer pay for mistakes on both sides on the coin.
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:26:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Or another way of saying it is that Walmart can't defy the basic laws of microeconomics.
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:04:34 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
e:

e:

oth the

owers

to the

bit as

whether

sed

ly don't know what suppliers deal with catering to Walmart.

icant period. Therefor they will price items to accommodate what ever walm art forces them to eat. At the end of the day you the consumer pay for mis takes on both sides on the coin.

...they've tried...and they're backpedaling some...
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 12:26:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Walmart sets the price - you accept it and you are a supplier. You don't, you aren't. If you got 1.93 for something this year, you'll get $1.83 next year.If not they will find someone in india or vietnam to make it for $1.63 (including shipping)
On 6/21/2016 5:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Someone told me once of a supplier who refused a Walmart contract. It was massively huge contract for millions of items. However, WM priced the bid so low that the company would have lost money if they had accepted.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/21/2016 7:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can say no, but people don't and get in trouble.
Google Vlasic pickle & walmart and Snapper mower & walmart. One said no, the other did not.
Our company used to make parts for a major appliance company. They came to us and demanded lower price and rebate on pat business. We said no and lost it to a competitor. They filed chapter 11 a year later.
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 7:55:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly. Economics 101 still applies.
On 06/21/2016 04:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I worked for a guy that sold to Wal Mart. Wal Mart told him to meet a certain price point or they would give their business to China. They didn't give a damn about his patents.
The stories he told about Wal Mart.
He eventually sold his company to a German company.
I won't buy batteries or anything else from Wal Mart that I need quality on as I know the manufacturers were so chiseled down that what gets shipped are all the seconds and "almost" rejected parts.
Had a customer buy a computer from Wal Mart at a really good price. Tried to upgrade it from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS and found out why it was so cheap. The Motherboard had a defect on it such that it could only support a 32 bit OS, even though it was spec'ed to support 64 bit. She orders customer computer from me ever since. She likes having someone to call that speaks English and is nice to her. Plus my stuff just works and doesn't crap out every year. Cost of ownership can kill you.
As Stromin' dad said. A poor man can't afford a cheap shirt.

Check the documentary described here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart:_The_High_Cost_of_Low_Price
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 19:39:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Almost killed Vlasic Pickles. Almost killed RedWing shoes. Several other companies have said getting the walmart contract was the beginning of the end. One of my customers supplies Walmart - and they say they have to really be carefull not to" buckle in" (pun intended - they sell belts - -) and end up loosing money on every product they sell