Mower Maint Questions

I have a Craftsman self-propelled walk-behind mower. It is about 10 years old.
Can I safely flush the engine (like you can on some cars) or is just changing the oil at sooner intervals better?
What is the best way to clean the carb (while it's still on)?
Thanks!

Is it running OK? If so change the oil and go cut the grass. Maybe throw a fuel filter at it. Running fresh gas through a carb is the best way to keep it clean. Most gas has injector cleaners in it these days anyway.
On 23 Jul 2004 17:29:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

..a lot of the rules have changed with Unleaded fuel being the 'NORM' today,,scary stuff IMO :- )
BTZ
Just change the oil at shorter intervals.
Clean gas should be sufficient unless it is gummed (if it's a Tecumseh -- likely but not certain on a Chraftsman-- they can gum the main jet , which is mounted in the bottom center of the carb), then disassemble and clean w/ carb cleaner and reassemple w/ new gaskets etc. as mower gasket & jet sets are only a few dollars.
try: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/carb_4cycle_index.html or your local shop.

The Masked Marvel wrote:

I think I'll do just that. It got an oil change and an external cleaning (grease and grass) and oiling today. Runs good. How often should the oil be changed? I must admit, it's only been done once a year with me. I mow year-round.

My last craftsman last 10 years. I did yearly oil change but only dump old oil through the filler tube by tipping the mower. When It died I opened the drain plug inside the blade shroud, about a half cup of oil the consistency of molasses (of higher density and less uniformity) came out. With my current mower, I am now draining oil every year by removing the plug before putting the mower to storage.

its not a good idea to let the engine sit dry all winter. you should refill it with new oil and put a squirt in the plug hole before storing it. keeps the rust away. not to mention the 'oops i forgot to refill it' factor.
randy

Actually I left old oil during off season. When the mowing season starts I change oil by removing the drain plug instead of tipping it like I did to my last mower.
Walking mowers take about 16 to 20 ounces of oil, typically. I just drain them and put in new oil. Use good stuff, not Kmart brand or Walmart brand for 60 cents a galon. No real advantage to motor flush.
Mowers are air cooled, and run much hotter than cars. Needs name brand oil.
I clean the carb with a spray can of Gumout. Spray the outside to clean grease off, and free up the linkages.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

kmart
You are partly right and partly wrong.
There IS a difference in oils based on the letters on the container. These are government mandated and indicate the quality, additives, etc of the oil. Any brands with the same letters will perform in the same way.
wrote in message

And there is also a big difference between regular oil, semi-synthetic, and full synthetic. Is he trying to tell us there is no diff between a can of Mobil 1 and a can of KMart oil?
wrote in message

oils:
find
These
oil.
this is what happens when posts get snipped and people are just looking for a nit to pick.
randy
Since those air cooled engines run so hot I use 5W30 Mobile 1 Synthetic in all my air cooled engines. Holds up wonderfully under hot conditions.